gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 13, 2024, 09:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  on one
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: on one  (Read 11769 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
on one
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Having been riding my On One MTB for a good few years now i've always loved there products, always a little bit diferent and never to expensive.  they tried entering the BMX world a few years ago and it was a complete mess!  but looking at their website it looks like they're taking it a bit more serious this time round  :daumenhoch:

i love my Proper but i might be tempted for one of these to go along side my inbred  :daumenhoch:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/teams-and-riders/q/date/2010/11/18/who-s-who-at-on-one-part-1#Acomment

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: on one
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:18 PM »
yeah.......been chatting to the guy at On One and they hope to have the pre production one built up for testing by the start of December and if all the testing goes okay they hope to have them ready by spring next year.   should retail at around the £170 - £200 mark.

:daumenhoch:

daveb1004

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:44 PM »
I've got an old Planet X kicking about in the shed which was pretty burly, UK made stuff never seems to do that well though  :'(

Andy

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:15 AM »
Quote from there site

Secret but extremely good signature geometry

lol @ on one, may as well do one

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 06:35 AM »
it'll be standard geometry with a 20.5 tt to begin with.........i think it looks nice, they said to me that they wanted a frame with simple lines in full cromo. They gut who's designing the frame has ridden for Proper and been riding BMX for over 13 years, so i'm sure it's not going to be a complete POS.  i'm deffo going to have a good look at one when they're ready.

Andy

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 06:23 PM »
I hear what your saying but there is no such thing as standard geo, I just thought it strange that they didnt put the most important info on the spec

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Give them a chance yeah?  ???

Andy

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:11 AM »
no probs in giving them a chance but like I said I cant understand why they wont release the geo of the frame, they release everything else so why not what matters.

They know the geo so its stupid or pretty suss not to put it out there.

At the end of the day On One is a mtb company. It matters not who they get on board to ride for them maybe they should do a little homework first an realise the market they are trying to cash in on yeah?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 07:32 AM »
Yes they are a mtb company, which is why they've got Ben on board who has over 13 years of riding under his belt and ridden for top brands.  So I'm sure he knows what he's doing. 

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:05 AM »
 :) Sure they deserve a chance & I know several MTBers who have had no probs with On-One frames.Time will tell if they invest more into BMX.Their frame looks to be sensibly priced but it is already overcrowded market. :daumenhoch:

Dr.Robotnik

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 03:37 PM »
The reasons they won't be taken seriously are what they write/how they present themselves;

BMX superstar Ben Manuel and his forthcoming On-One 20" wheeler...

The first ever kids (soz) frame made by On-One is a real good looking design

One of the more technically accomplished riders amongst us he is the kind of skillful smug git

It all just sounds awful, plus the use of;

Taperlock dropouts for 14mm axles

Horrendous.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:44 PM »
why bother ffs!   ::)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Might be worth waiting for the cheaper, better, lighter Ragley thats fookin bound to follow  ;D
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Ragley cheaper?!?  ??? 

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 07:59 PM »
Yeah, isnt that what Ragley do, like for like purpose wise but cheaper, I.E  456 frame vs Blue pig frame
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 08:23 PM »
But the 456 is only 160 surely the pig isn't cheaper than that??? Have to say I love my 456 just rides so well.  :smitten:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 08:41 PM »
The RRP of the 456 is £299 though isnt it? and I am sure I have seen blu pigs on filthbay for 130 delivered.

Could be wrong though :daumenhoch:

ben manuel

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Hi,

Id like to introduce myself, im ben manuel. the guy who works for on-one and designed the bmx frame. id like to start by saying that i usually dont indulge in forum chat but i felt i had to come defend myself, just to give you guys alittle background info on me so you understand where im coming from and the reason for making this frame.

ive ridden bmx at a professional level for over ten years and owned my own skate park for 14 years so im qualified to say im 100% bmx, ive seen all the fads come and go and some old ones come back around again, ive travelled the world met some amazing people and been fortunate to ride for some great companies, without blowing my own trumpet (im nearly 30) and by no means a spring chicken ive ridden for free agent,carlo @ proper bikes,Haro,etnies,odyssey,eastpak,zeal distribution to name a few.

i worked for Halfords for over 7 years within there cycle dept and eventually being a manager,i got offered the position as on-ones customer service manager nothing to do with bmx and being closer to home and better money i took the position around 6 months ago, now being a yorkshire man and wearing my heart on my sleeve i honestly believe the company i work for make good honest products at great prices.

considering we have great relations with overseas suppliers and tried and tested steel frames a asked if it would be ok to design a bmx frame and follow the principles we follow of good product at a good price, i got a yes! so i designed the frame so kids getting into bmx could have a simple less is more frame without having to spend over £300 for one made in the same country.

ive no intention of releasing this frame into an already saturated market to "cash in" many other mtb companies have both bmx and mtb frames, (gt,haro,giant,specialized) so why is this a problem? its being made to offer kids coming into bmx an affordable,quality frame.

the frame is a basic geometry like 90% of all other frames out there, we havent held this back its just that we havent released it yet, the frame only arrived on friday.
its 20.5tt,13.25-13.75 chain stay to 14.25-14.75 seat stay with internal HS and mid size BB, removable gyro tabs and built in pivitol seat clamp with gusseted downtube. im testing the taperlock dropouts to see if its easier than using chain tugs, this is the first sample so it might not have this so i cant see how this is horrendous?

i didnt write the blurb on the website so i cant comment on that but dont read too much into it,the IT guys probably had a deadline to work to and didnt know the geometry so came up with something else.

if ANY of you guys that talk the talk about being into bmx i offer you the free chance to come ride MY bike test it as much as you like at my park and then say i shouldnt have bothered or are you going to stay behind your computers and reminisce about the good ol days jumping your se race bike at your track with your mates. this bike is being designed and built for the right reasons, for the kids of today to be able to afford a good frame from a british company to encourage them to get into something that is fun and hopefully will give them as much opportunity as it has me.

Ben

chedbmx

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 12:09 AM »
Hello, im a young rider and i think the frame is a awsome idea you can not buy a good frame for a decent price anymore, there all 300-400 quid for a good frame. Not only is the frame a very good price it also rides AWSOME i went to ben manuals skatepark today and had a good 20 min ride on it, couldnt ask for more it felt solid, really responsive and was light. Felt alot better to ride than my frame which cost me over 300 quid. I can see this frame really taking off and becoming a very popular product in the market. I would recomend it to any bmx rider.
Cant wait for them to come on sale
Tom

liamhutchbmx

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 01:53 AM »
I may look like i am coming to Ben's rescue here as a new member to the forum and partly i am, but only because i feel his new frame is as good as he beieves it is.

To introduce myself, i have been riding at his skatepark as my local for 10 years and competed in most of the UK and european competitions (for the people who falsely believe riding ability determines the credibility of ones opinions). I have been riding the same frame for 5 years as i am the kinda guy who thinks 'if it aint broke don't fix it' and won't buy into all the new fads.

Having said that, i took Ben up on his offer earlier and had a good ride on his bike. It felt solid, responsive and did everything i wanted it too (which says a lot compared to some of the other new frames i have ridden owned by other locals) and is a frame i would purchase when mine finally breaks. The price will be an especially attractive factor for buying this frame when one of similar spec would cost much more. Personally i'm not too keen on the bright green paint, but ben is a bit gay like that ;) But seriously, the frame looks really clean and tidy and rode better than his previous standard 250L IMO.

Liam
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:56 AM by liamhutchbmx »

gobshite

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 09:55 AM »
i am coming to Ben's rescue here as a new member to the forum and partly i am, but only because i feel his new knob is as good as he beieves it is.

To introduce myself, i have been riding his knob as my local for 10 years and competed in most of the UK and european competitions (for the people who falsely believe riding ability determines the credibility of ones opinions). I have been riding the same knob for 5 years as i am the kinda guy who thinks 'if a knob aint broke don't fix it' and won't buy into all the new fads.

Having said that, i took Ben up on his knob offer earlier and had a good ride on his knob. It felt solid, responsive and did everything i wanted it too (which says a lot compared to some of the other new knobs i have ridden owned by other locals) and is a knob i would purchase when my knob finally breaks. The price will be an especially attractive factor for buying this knob when one of similar spec would cost much more. Personally i'm not too keen on the bright green knob, but ben is a bit gay like that ;) But seriously, the knob looks really clean and tidy and rode better than his previous standard knob IMO.

Liam
:LolLolLolLol:

sorry, i couldnt resist....

frame looks fine tbh, geometry is geometry, you either like it or you dont, its a bmx bike at the end of the day,

if this was some big-shite company i'd just slate it for the fun of it, but on-one actually seems a decent company, i've always liked their approach to mtb frames, the "gimp" frame esp,
nothing wrong with them giving bmx a try, the no frills frame approach is the right way to go, building some exotic super lightweight concept frame would be an excercise in futility,

many of us on here remember the "ukbikeco" debacle and are a more than a little wary of future disappointment,
i told "dibly" myself ,in no uncertain terms,not to build that fuqking silly light frame,

if the on-one frame is strong and durable then good luck to them,
the uk is way under represented in the bmx world tbh,

maybe referring to riders as "the kids" could be percieved as a bit fooking patronizing though.....

gobshite

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 10:00 AM »
and where is the price and link to the frame?

i'll have a butchers of it..

looked on the on-one site and there seems to be no mention,

is this all an xmas wind up? ???
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:03 AM by darksunday »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Fair play to Ben for coming on here and having his say........like i have said before, i've ridden a On-one inbred 456 for a good few years now and it's the nuts!!  if i lived anywhere near your park Ben i'd be there like a shot to have a ride on your bike!  likeive said to you via email and facebook....i think it looks the nuts!  and if its anything lik the MTB frames it'll be superb!

yes i'm a little biased i guess but give it a chance hey before poeple fook it off.

good to see you on here though Ben  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 10:05 AM »

Joe.......at least look at the first page with the link  ::)

gobshite

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 10:15 AM »

Joe.......at least look at the first page with the link  ::)

i've been up all night drinking meths and smoking crack,me and my clicky finger eh? ::)

looks good,simple enough, clean, price makes it very good if its durable,

whats the weight?
are the head tube and bb post weld machined?
will the production frames come without overspray?

any pics of the welds?

looks good,
best of luck with it. :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  on one

gfxgfx
gfx gfx