gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 03:41 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  'Recycling' centres...wtf?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 'Recycling' centres...wtf?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
'Recycling' centres...wtf?
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:07 PM »
We're constantly guilted into recycling everthing to save the planet, so why when I visit the local tip to dump a load of household crap am I told that the guys aren't allowed to sell or give away any of the dozens of bikes piled up there?  Surely this is the ultimate in recycling? It saddens me to think of the hundreds of potentially very valuable and rare bmx's taken away to be destroyed.

A crime against God himself..... :2gunsfiring_v1:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline ORANGEZIPPY

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: 'Recycling' centres...wtf?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:27 PM »
i think most would sell you one if you asked in the right way,

i clocked a team mag burner before i'd even got out of rthe van at my one a couple of years back, when i asked nicely how much they wanted i didint haggle at the fiver,

so dumped my rubbish and came came back with a burner for a fiver, which was good.

Never seen anthing else of interest since mind, and normally there every couple of weeks.

i'm sure others on here have found a few good finds also.

:4_17_5:

Rodgy1970

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Tis a BS policy.

In a lot of places the attendants will sell you stuff once they get to know you but a lot of times they just say they can't because they don't want caught.

The attendants at the recycling site near me pick out the good stuff such as copper, stainless steel etc and sell it on, they also let a bunch of skip rats rummage away which really pisses me off.

I sometimes go for a mooch around it when it's closed but theres never much to be had as the attendants mostly have contacts for anything thats worth anything and the skip rats have the rest.

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:47 PM »
I thought there was something a bit weird going on cos while I was queueing to get in I saw a kid wheeling a bike back with an attendent.  I found the same bloke when I got in and asked about buying one but he said they'd been stopped from selling anything.  Maybe he thought I was going to report him?  Dunno
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Mostly its becoz they dont wanna lose their jobs. They dont know you from Adam to start wiv. Its all health and safety bullsh*t.  :tickedoff:
BANNED

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:05 AM »
Ten years on and im still haunted by the image of a complete diamond back old school being scooped by a tip dozer while we where draggin conifers from a van  :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1: :2gunsfiring_v1:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 12:11 AM »
Like him above said...........as soon as you talk money......the tune changes  :coolsmiley:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 01:16 AM »
Watch out, there's a mong about :crazy2:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:17 AM »
i would have haggled at a fiver for a burner!   
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

b45t4rd

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 08:21 AM »

:LolLolLolLol:
 :police: Beard will be along in a bit to protect the honour of his beloved burners.  :police:

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Bit of a sweeping statement i'm sure but people who work in Dumps are jobsworths twats who (as PeterJ said) rapidly change their tune when the sight of the Queens Head turns up. Idiots.
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

StellaAtoiz

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30 PM »
I will take the stance for David Beard and defend the Burner, the employees down my local skip are all Albanian apart from one jonny foreigner from Wales, I give a flat rate of £20.00 if they phone me when a bike comes in and has 'Burner' written down the side of it 8)

ozone

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 07:26 AM »
I will take the stance for David Beard and defend the Burner, the employees down my local skip are all Albanian apart from one jonny foreigner from Wales, I give a flat rate of £20.00 if they phone me when a bike comes in and has 'Burner' written down the side of it 8)

Maybe that bit of info might affect your next splitting thread in the for sale section as nobody likes to think they're getting it rammed up them.    ;)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 07:31 AM »
i think you might find its your councils policy,others vary.
if you contact them you can get a permit or written permission,but its not easy
some councils dont care others have sold bikes only for the bike to not be safe and accients cost them 
.the scrap goes to a waste managment company,if you find out who that is youll also have a little chance but they dont like people walking
round a dangerous enviroment.

StellaAtoiz

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 08:26 AM »

Maybe that bit of info might affect your next splitting thread in the for sale section as nobody likes to think they're getting it rammed up them.    ;)

I only split Burners on ebay to help the burner community with their builds as the guy's on here collect and build arguably 'better' bikes than the humble Burner :D

I doubt if any one would be interested in having Mk1 Burner forks on say their PK Ripper or Skyway, although I could be wrong :-\

Personally I do not think I am doing anything wrong in saving Burners from the fate of the crusher :angel:

....but I do appreciate your concern :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:35 AM by StellaAtoiz »

oldschoolfool

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 02:36 PM »
We're constantly guilted into recycling everthing to save the planet, so why when I visit the local tip to dump a load of household crap am I told that the guys aren't allowed to sell or give away any of the dozens of bikes piled up there?  Surely this is the ultimate in recycling? It saddens me to think of the hundreds of potentially very valuable and rare bmx's taken away to be destroyed.

A crime against God himself..... :2gunsfiring_v1:

its definitely a local council thing.i often do a tip run around plymouth and districts because they have for sale sections :daumenhoch:.i have even had one attendant junp into the metal scrap skip to drag out a bike(all that sharp metal!!).they dont seem to mind,cos of cash money ;D
the biggest tip in plymouth though is privately run and there is only one "buisness" allowed to take from there.they then sell on making 500% profit ::).
there is another tip that has someone down there all the time who has first shout on any bike that comes in :knuppel2:

thing is,because of ebay and such sites,bmx bikes are aways snapped up first by the attendants because of their "worth" .so now i only drag out old retro mtb's which ive done alright by ;)

thing is,because of eba

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:43 PM by oldschoolfool »

Offline skki3330

• Flip-Whip
  • Love Riding Old Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Yeah i asked my dump not so long ago if they would sell me a bike but would not have non of it, then i found out they have one bloke who takes them all and sells it at one of our local auctions which i can never get to coz it's on a monday  >:( >:( >:(
WANTED

SE Powerwings
Holeshot RF-1
Vincent Freestylers Gen 1 and Gen 2

bigsman

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Same round my way - the one recycling centre won't let me near the bikes cos the office that runs the gaff overlooks the place and it's all CCTVd up.  Also, a bike station has got an exclusive deal to take away all their bikes in a van a couple of times a week.  No real issue with that except that they chuck a lot of them away unless they are 90% complete and easily turned round for resale meaning that good frames, forks and other bits just get dumped again.  As someone else said I have spoke to the guys at the recycling place and they told me I can apply in writing for permission but I haven't bothered cos it's obviously just red tape central.  Shame cos you know you are bound to be missing out on the odd gem :(

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 06:47 PM »

Yeah i'd expect  to be paid at least a tenner for me to   to take it away  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:53 PM by Darren K.A.P »
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

StellaAtoiz

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 06:55 PM »

Yeah i'd expect  to be paid at least a tenner for me to   to take it away  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

:(

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55 PM »

I only split Burners on ebay to help the burner community with their builds as the guy's on here collect and build arguably 'better' bikes than the humble Burner :D

I doubt if any one would be interested in having Mk1 Burner forks on say their PK Ripper or Skyway, although I could be wrong :-\

Personally I do not think I am doing anything wrong in saving Burners from the fate of the crusher :angel:

....but I do appreciate your concern :daumenhoch:

To be honest I'd prefer if it you didn't align yourself with me in way shape or form....

Your 'interest' in the world of BMX begins and ends with how much money you can make... this 'service' you offer still remains a mystery to me.

Myself and others have watched as you have brought bikes and split them days later making profits from the BMX community.

You call it a 'service'... A lot of us call it 'sad'...

Are you doing a 'service' for the guy who you outbid by a £1.... who would probably (unlike yourself) have taken that old BMX bike and restored it?

You are not shy in flaunting the fact that you are a wealthy guy... fair play, you've obviously invested well and been successful in whatever line of business it is that you undertake.

What's sad is that you have no real passion for the bikes themselves, you've proved on countless occasions on several sites that your knowledge of BMX is minimal and apart from a Rampar build, I don't recall you building or restoring any other bikes. It would appear you see this hobby as some kind of cash-cow for pocket money.

Your no longer a member of either RALEIGH BURNER site, you were BANNED from Burnerworld and after a temporary BAN from RB.COM you refused to go back...  :LolLolLolLol:

You only have to take a look at your RADBMX stats to see where your interests lay...

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=7050;sa=statPanel

Your here for the £££'s... not the Passion.. of a Sport and a Hobby.

Everyone likes to make a few quid here and there but your just a parasite in a hobby that brings like minded BMX fans together, and its clueless clowns like you with a pocket full of cash that leave a nasty taste on every site they join..

StellaAtoiz

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 08:04 PM »
David.

You don't moan like this when you buy items from me ???

....also, I need an Aero Pro decal set, do you still have a set for sale for £100.00?......you know, from the batch that you were given for nothing :coolsmiley:

I may sell items, but at least I do some of the leg work and go to the effort to buy them in the first place :daumenhoch:

I built a mini burner for my son for the record......which is what re kindled my passion for Burners, which despite the knock backs they get, are to my eye, a BMX of beauty :smitten:

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13 PM »
David.

You don't moan like this when you buy items from me ???

....also, I need an Aero Pro decal set, do you still have a set for sale for £100.00?......you know, from the batch that you were given for nothing :coolsmiley:

I may sell items, but at least I do some of the leg work and go to the effort to buy them in the first place :daumenhoch:

I built a mini burner for my son for the record......which is what re kindled my passion for Burners, which despite the knock backs they get, are to my eye, a BMX of beauty :smitten:

Jason...

You can write on here what you like fella... I've nothing to prove... 6 years after joining radbmx I have shown my passion and enthusiasm for the sport of BMX and the hobby of Old Skool.

AND FOR THE FINAL FLIPPIN' TIME.... YOU DEAF... IGNORANT PRAT...

The decals sets which you speak of (you uninformed plonker!) are New Old Stock Aero Pro Decals... decals that are NOT AVAILABLE anywhere else in the flaming world... they were NOT 'given to me' for 'nothing'....

They were part of a batch of items that World Champion Craig Schofield  supplied in order to raise funds to restore the bike on which he won the world championships in 1985 in Whistler, Canada.

Does any of this ever go in? do you ever take a step back and think 'Ahh I see now... the guy who won the Worlds wants his bike restoring so he's selling some prize items in order to fund it'.... is that so difficult to understand?

Or are you so narrow minded that all you wanna do is try and constantly take digs and attempt to discredit me and the site I've put my heart and soul into...? 

And as for 'leg work'.... is that the walk from your arm chair to your wallet in order to buy another BMX to split up and sell?

I'm a rider.... your a trader.... JOG ON.  :daumenhoch:

And just a reminder... here is what the money raised from selling all bar one final set of those decals created....

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:15 PM by beard1973 »

StellaAtoiz

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 10:54 PM »
David.

You keep banging on that you have nothing to prove ;D.....I have never asked you to prove anything so why you keep repeating yourself and mentioning it ???

Your helmet appeared on TV on The Gadget Show, that is proof enough for me :daumenhoch:

I have never questioned your enthusiasm for the brand that is Raleigh, however I do feel that you sometimes allow yourself to become obsessed by the brand itself to the point where you would like to control who is actually allowed to purchase a Burner ???

I have built up a nice, all be it relatively small collection of various brands of BMX that I very much enjoy.......however..........is it a big part of my life which clearly your Burner empire is to you, no, of course its not......but I have never claimed it is :coolsmiley:

I have nothing but admiration for 2 or 3 guys on your site who consistently build absolutely fantastic bikes as I do similarly for some of the guys on RAD who's builds and collections are just absolutely simply stunning :shocked:

I have always said that you have a terrific web site that is very informative, however it is regularly let down by poor policing and inconsistent moderating and as you are at the helm, you should take full responsibility for this.

Many of your members email me directly for parts now as they know I sell far cheaper than they can normally buy on your site or on ebay, so where is the harm in that it it helps them to complete their build?

Anyway, you are digressing from the topic of this thread so I will leave it there apart from wishing you and your members a terrific time at the worlds biggest Burner event - The Burner Bash :daumenhoch:

Offline beard1973

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21 PM »

Patronising Pecker Neck...  ::)

I have to repeat myself because you NEVER take the FACTS on board... how many times has the sale of those AP decals been brought up by yourself and another infamous member of the 'scene'.... and how many times have I explained the situation? So don't go on about me repeating myself when its yourself who brings it up... time after time.... get over it fella... the decals sold and a piece of history was rebuilt.  :daumenhoch:

I'm happy with the way BW is moderated as is co-owner DaveMac... we BAN idiots... END OF STORY.

We ban people who become a pest... when as the Administrator of a Forum I am emailed and text with complaints then we take action, people with big spoons who just wanna store things up are not welcome on BW or any other site IMHO...

I do feel that you sometimes allow yourself to become obsessed by the brand itself to the point where you would like to control who is actually allowed to purchase a Burner

:LolLolLolLol: and this from the guy who spent weeks parading around eBay using my name to harass sellers of Raleigh Burner items....

Your an idiot fella... and as I say... JOG ON...  :coolsmiley:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  'Recycling' centres...wtf?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx