gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 12:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Loud rear hubs.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Loud rear hubs.  (Read 967 times)

Tachikoma

Loud rear hubs.
« on: March 29, 2012, 03:14 PM »
So, since I'm an old-timer, harking from the days where the biggest source of noise from my bikes were Kellogs frosties reflectors slipping about or the occasional crushed soda can lodged between the frame and back wheel for the motorbike sound effects, i genuinely can't understand this love for loud clicking rear hubs?
I see "guides" on making hubs louder, which generally all pretty much result in removing the grease for more metal-on-metal harshness and a louder click and it boggles my mind.

When i build my newschool ride i used a gsport ratchet hub and used (still do) that, it's loud as all hell and most people down the local skate part love that it's so loud?, there has been several occasions where kids have said "wow that's so loud, what hub you got"

Am i missing something here?, are the loud clicks useful in some way? surely it can't just be a trend?
I'm really looking forward to using the freecoaster i picked up for my new new-school build because it's absolutely silent...  :uglystupid2:

SaMAlex

Re: Loud rear hubs.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 03:42 PM »

Here's what Profile say about it

http://profileracing.com/news_full.php?id=1458

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Loud rear hubs.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:22 PM »
It's mostly fashion - super loud hubs and people wanting them, but the design of modern cassette hubs means they can't be silent any more. Which is a shame to me too, I hate that bloody noise...

I suppose you could also argue that on a brakeless bike any amount of warning to others you're approaching is a good thing.

If you do have a cassette hub that is silent, beware - a trip over the bars is in your future as one day you'll be cranking hard at summat and all of a sudden you'll have no drive....

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Loud rear hubs.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx