gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 15, 2024, 06:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  What goes up, must come down!?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What goes up, must come down!?  (Read 8655 times)

Sink

What goes up, must come down!?
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:20 PM »
You know the saying, throw shit up it's coming back down...

Well this morning while having my daily visit to the Skate park, I sat and watched a few lads over the spines, i just don't get it, can someone explain in lamens terms how to get over the spine and down the other side without smashing ya teeth in,
brake it down for me, i'm an old slow fart, i just can't get my head round it, body shifting, weight distribution etc etc....
I kind of like my front teeth, they cost me £500 and i don't wanna end up eating em  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: What goes up, must come down!?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Don't go too slow, you'll hang up on it

Carve over it slightly, when your front wheel is over push forward and down

You'll more than likely land flat the first couple of times, stay on the bike, don't try to bail... it hurts!

Once you've got over it you can work on the technique  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:05 PM »
as above cut across the spine slightly, once your front wheel is over push the front end down into the transition

Sink

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 04:32 PM »
And a big dose of bottle  :LolLolLolLol:

Anything i should or could pratice before taking the plunge? i.e bounching on my head :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Yep - as above - cutting across the spine will give you more to land on :) Try finding a smaller one first - don't go headlong onto a 6'er....
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:35 PM »
small and mellow as poss to start off with, keep doing it till you can do it without thinking about it then find a slightly bigger one

having some balls help lol

there is a 6 year old at southsea who can do the 5ft spine on a 12in bike, he clips his chainring everytime but he makes it, now that takes balls!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:37 PM by kev s »

Sink

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 04:36 PM »
The one's in the park i ride are pretty small, maybe 4ft, but when up there they seem like 40ft  :LolLolLolLol:

griff

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Peter J will be along in a bit to tell you exactly how it's done  :daumenhoch:

Sink

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Is it nessasary to get air over the spine?

Sink

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 04:40 PM »

there is a 6 year old at southsea who can do the 5ft spine on a 12in bike, he clips his chainring everytime but he makes it, now that takes balls!!

No fear or concept of pain at that age  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 07:52 PM »

Nope, not at all. You can almost skim over them with the right technique.

A couple of things;

As the others have said, you need to carve on the way up - but - if you carve your opposite way on the way up, this means that as you pop over the top you'll find yourself in the correct orientation to come down the other side in your natural stance, as it were.

Unfortunately, it'll only make sense to you once you're having a crack at it.

Also (and more importantly) don't get into the habit of dabbing your foot or feet on the top. It's a fcuking nightmare habit to break and does you absolutely no good at all. Far better to keep your feet on and just monster truck over it smashing chainrings on the way.

Finally, a few of us took another course of action when getting over our first spines and simply launched to flat. Usually painful, but it removes the fear immediately and you can get on with the job of getting smooth.

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:11 PM »
You know the saying, throw shit up it's coming back down...

Well this morning while having my daily visit to the Skate park, I sat and watched a few lads over the spines, i just don't get it, can someone explain in lamens terms how to get over the spine and down the other side without smashing ya teeth in,
brake it down for me, i'm an old slow fart, i just can't get my head round it, body shifting, weight distribution etc etc....
I kind of like my front teeth, they cost me £500 and i don't wanna end up eating em  :LolLolLolLol:

Peter j is your man for this one , he gives demos on how NOT to do the spine  :LolLolLolLol:

Sink

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:15 PM »

Finally, a few of us took another course of action when getting over our first spines and simply launched to flat. Usually painful, but it removes the fear immediately and you can get on with the job of getting smooth.

When you say launched to flat, do you mean missing the transition and just hitting flat ground?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:56 PM »
Yep!

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 01:47 PM »
tis a real mind game the spine,   local ones near me scare the sit out of me every time , as said i found carving made it a bit easier , although you carve opposite to land the right way,   or carve the right way and then lean in the wrong way to land  :idiot2:   :D :LolLolLolLol:  ,   going straight over is real tough for me, just feels real odd pushing the front end down so far,   as always start small n well padded up   :daumenhoch: will scare the shite out of you but the grinn soon takes over  :daumenhoch:

Sink

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Thanks for all the info and pointers, I think i got it worked out in my mind now, just need to get out on it and give it a go  :daumenhoch:

The couple of times i've made it to the top, I've ended up standing on the spine and dropping the bike over the other side, just need to do it I guess  :uglystupid2:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Best to go with someone who can do it already. Best break that habit of standing on the top - that'll fcuk you up big style....

Sink

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Best to go with someone who can do it already. Best break that habit of standing on the top - that'll fcuk you up big style....

I'm going to pull up one of the lads in there next time their doing the spine, and tie my feet to the pedals so i don't foot plant again  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 10:28 PM »
You have to make that decision in your own head - you make it down the other side on your wheels or on your chin. Either way, your feet remain on those bastard pedals  ;)

Sink

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 10:37 PM »
Maybe i should wear a full face helmet instead of my pi$$ pot, i might just come away with some teeth :LolLolLolLol:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Don't be self concious mate, pad up! Wear it all and get yourself over.

You can look cool in your pisspot after you've mastered it  ;)

Sink

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 11:17 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: Is it possible to look cool in a Pi$$pot  :2funny: Turns my stomache to watch these youngens throwing their bikes over ramps, with now protection at all :uglystupid2:
Would they throw their todger up some tart with no protection................................. Oh yea most of em would!! :2funny:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14 AM »
Just the way it is. Nothing really changes, just how we remember it does. I never wore pads back in the 80s, wore loads of pads in the 90s, wear some pads now.

The only thing I disagree with is riders taking the piss out of other riders for wearing pads. Out of order in my eyes.

You're right about the pisspots of course, it's very nearly completely impossible to look cool in one of those. Let alone be protected..... but don't get me started on that one.....  :LolLolLolLol:

evamedia

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 12:33 PM »
+ 1 in the send it to flat camp

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 12:39 PM »
theres plenty other stuff to ride.

Fuc* Spines.

:buck2:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  What goes up, must come down!?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx