gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 14, 2024, 03:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  brake and stuff help ADDING PICS NOW GUYS
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: brake and stuff help ADDING PICS NOW GUYS  (Read 11352 times)

motomagII

brake and stuff help ADDING PICS NOW GUYS
« on: April 11, 2012, 09:25 PM »
so just built me federal up and few problems as always
1st isa brake caliper is catching the chain with small gearing as expected but i reckon the caliper im using is quite high stack dia compe 990.
what does a low profile one stack at dia compe is about 28mm .i dont need much as it only just catches/rubs it . it also needs to be purple if possible (blank are purple and cheap but are they any good )

2nd whats the deal with giros nowadays on internal headset frames no tads fitted and to tabs on stem either .?i know nothing about these really?ive run straight cable at mo to the rear lower stays using the guides and adjuster on the downtube and it looks messy near the headset where cable comes up to lever

3rd put half link chain on and it slips under pressure,is this the chain or driver usually (wheel and hub are proper and brand new ).i havent got summat to swap at moment to try different things out

4. what levers are good again blank do one right colour purple but can u get tech 77 in purple ?not the bent ones as i have massive bars it would be straight lever left hand and prefer hinged too really

lastly how the fook do you ride a bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:59 PM by motomagII »

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: brake and stuff help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49 PM »
1.  Any more modern brake should be ok, they all got lower as they got newer. all U brakes are basically ok, it's all about the setup...

2.  Drill and tap your headtube to accept tabs, buy a plate to go under your stem for t'other end. (Vocal do a decent one).

3.  Make sure the 1/2 link chain is the right way round and the right way up first of all. Assuming that's all ok, chances are the cassette is over greased. Take the driver out and clean everything thoroughly, then just a couple of drops of 3in1 oil to each pawl - no more. They have to be noisy to work properly sadly.

4.  Levers are a personal choice really. Can't say I've seen a purple 77, only Dirty Harrys. I'd bet Colony do a purple lever and they're nice things actually.

Lastly, go fast and hold on!!

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50 PM »
What gearing you running Greg?

You'll probably struggle for clearance below 33/12 on that frame with a brake

Fly and odyssey evo 2 brakes have a low stack height

You'll need the frame drilled/tapped for gyro tabs and a gyro plate to go below the stem, just run a straight cable and save the hassle  :daumenhoch:

The driver slipping could be because it's new, my proper hub did it first time out  :-\

Odyssey lever  :daumenhoch:

Spent ages typing that then got the warning someone else had replied  ;D

Rob, Greg's got a circa 04 ish Federal frame, i reckon the chainstays/lugs will be too high for low gearing  :-\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:53 PM by Betty »
2 minutes turkish...

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:05 PM »
Ah yeah, you could be right there.

Old school then, take a grinder to the brake  ;)

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:54 AM »
m running 28_10 and chain is just  bouncing onto brake a tad its the noise that bugs me

motomagII

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56 AM »
How do u remove a driver its a proper v3 hub

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 08:10 AM »
i ran 30/10 i think Greg on my 05 Fly Diablo and the chain did exactly the same on a new AD999.  what i did was to run a bit of velcro around the chainstay and over the top of the brake bolt.......stopped the noise of the chain  :daumenhoch:
You can see from this picture Greg that it's really close to the chain even with a new school low brake......just bang on the velcro and wrap it around the chainstay  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:16 AM by pickle »

elevensies

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 09:57 AM »
Greg, I'm running 30/10 and a dia comp hombre brake, and it just clears with a z510 chain, my half link caught the bolt hence the z chain change, you could try filing the bolt head a bit it it's only just catching.

Mark

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58 AM »
If it's only just hitting with a 990 which has a high stack height You'd have loads of clearance with an Odyssey Evo 2, 21mm high  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

motomagII

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 10:14 AM »
i ran 30/10 i think Greg on my 05 Fly Diablo and the chain did exactly the same on a new AD999.  what i did was to run a bit of velcro around the chainstay and over the top of the brake bolt.......stopped the noise of the chain  :daumenhoch:
You can see from this picture Greg that it's really close to the chain even with a new school low brake......just bang on the velcro and wrap it around the chainstay  :daumenhoch:

that looks exatly like mine just kind of clopse and taps on it

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:44 AM »
Try the velcro Greg.......stopped the noise on mine  :daumenhoch:

or look for a rubber bung to fit into the Allen key head.......like the plastic things you get for screws in flat pack stuff.

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 11:04 AM »
just rung winstanleys about the driver slipping gotta send the wheel back now doh

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Good luck with that.... fcuking Winstanleys. Are you taking bets on ever getting it back?

The drivers are a simple dismantle, release any and all cone nuts, driver pulls out of the hub. Clean every last bit of grease, oil whatever out of hub & driver, make sure it's spotless. Add a couple of drops of light oil and reassemble.

Driver should be loud.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Mine slipped a few weeks back, might have to do what you've just said Bob  :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:39 PM »
You'll understand if you have a look - the components are quite small and fussy looking. A blob of grease will easily hold the pawls in and that's your slip. Assuming there are no broken springs in there. Again, easy to spot.

I'd love a quiet bike, I hate the clicking but cassette hubs don't allow it.

motomagII

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 01:49 PM »
may have another  ride tonite gentle like see if its just bedding in slip .if not i may dismantle myself and have look before sending back .winstanleys guy christian said hed ring me back to sort it about 5 hours ago and nothing as of yet no suprise there then!!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 02:15 PM »
I'll save you the bruised knees mate - it won't be bedding in slip. Chances are it'll get worse, they usually do.

motomagII

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:48 PM »
okay i will give that miss .i may strip it tomorrow have look see if its that easy if not back to winstanleys it goes leaving me with no wheel again .

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Knowing W@nkstanleys they've probably put a LHD driver in a RHD hub......  ;D

As 2BR said - it'll only get worse. Could be it's greased and the pawls aren't engaging, or it's proper fooked. You'll see straight off though when you pull out the driver.

Here's a link to the GSport Ratchet hub dissasembly pdf (it's not the same hub as yours, but it will give you an idea of what's inside a new school rear hub):

http://www.gsportbmx.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/ratchet-hub-instruction-manual.pdf
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:00 PM by dannywhac »
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

motomagII

Re: brake and stuff help ADDING PICS NOW GUYS
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 07:08 PM »

DSCF6701 by motomag11, on Flickr

DSCF6702 by motomag11, on Flickr
right this is how far i have got .
as you see the brake cable looks shite where it passes the headtube ?
got some chain tensioners coming so i can maybe get chain right and clear brake a tad
also got black seat coming but not sure if blue or black to be honest
i need to get another rear claiper and lever cant decide what and the colour either

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Billy's bmx in cambridge used to do a kit for u brakes that had lower bolts, springs, & tensioners so your chain would clear. I would give them a ring.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Run the cable on the other side Greg, lever on the left cable on the right  :daumenhoch:

You're deffo colour blind  :LolLolLolLol:
2 minutes turkish...

motomagII

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 07:28 PM »
yeah i never thought of cable that way .my old bikes have it like that on caliper brakes

i love the colours spent week trying to find the paint for this then blue back end red font its mint
in kinda thinking of painting some forks red as well to be honest

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 08:06 PM »

in kinda thinking of painting some forks red as well to be honest

:daumenhoch: You've gotta have matching collars and cuffs - bars gotta match the forks I reckon :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Just make something match FFS  ;D  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  brake and stuff help ADDING PICS NOW GUYS

gfxgfx
gfx gfx