gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975571 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 21, 2024, 10:47 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  We The People Zodiac, what year? How to remove seat post? And add brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: We The People Zodiac, what year? How to remove seat post? And add brakes  (Read 4762 times)

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Just got a We The People Zodiac, how do I tell what year it is? Is it possible to remove integrated slammed post? And where would I get brake mounts from? Thanks Paul

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Does it have the tapped fixing points for brakes ?

I think some have removed the integrated seat post on the Subrosa, can you take a close up photo with the seat removed ?

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
yup as above , the brake mount kit is available from a few shops , sure you've googled it , i think the brake kit is just a universal one tbh fits a few frames on the market,  pinning the year down  is the thing i think the zodiacs were from 2011 maybe earlier ? , probs best to drop wtp a message with the frame number they might be able to help,

if the seat post has the top for a pivotal welded to the seat tube it can be cut off , hacksaw it off just under  the weld  :daumenhoch:   put a  slot the tube at the back , then  fit a normal post n seat clamp .

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
I did see a brake mount kit but can't figure out how they can justify 22 quid! I saw someone cut off seat post and used a seat post with a wedge. At first I thought you unscrewed it! As it has line under it,must be a guide for cutting

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
yeah they are a bit pricy , but you do get all the bits for adding a giro , tabs etc ,  which would cost about tenner on their own ,

yup the line on the frame will be a cutting guide , check the spacing though , to make sure there is enough tube to get which ever clamp your using on , best to cut it to long above the guide then trim it down a bit , can always take more off , not so easy putting it back if you cut it to short  :daumenhoch:

the idea for the guide is as you said to cut the pivotal off and use a wedge post/seat combo , neater looking than a clamp but less options to choose from for a replacement , don't think they were deigned to be slotted and have a normal clamp put on , but it's just a case of drilling a hole then file/grind out a slot to meet the hole like a normal frame ,   20 min job and that's with making a brew included  :daumenhoch: :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 08:51 PM by oldtired »

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
was just going to bung that up, they've got the wtp set too , you get a spanner with the wtp set  :daumenhoch:  ;D

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Cheers for the info  :daumenhoch:

I don't think I will use the bike much, just hoping for more Northwest ramp nights so may just keep seat like it is and get brake mounts, fed up I didn't get the cheap salt brakes from Halfords

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
looks straight forward enough ,   got some trials bike seats with a wedge post on em ,  stubby seat like a uni mini , if you need a 25.4mm wedge  lmk  :daumenhoch:

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Re: We The People Zodiac, what year? How to remove seat post? And add brakes
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:05 PM »
As the bike was only 55 quid don't want so spend as much on brake mounts and a seatpost :LolLolLolLol:

Just ordered Salt seat, chain tensioners ,pegs, and brake from Halfords as they have dropped prices again :daumenhoch:

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 06:17 PM »
no unfortunately , different size boss on v brakes

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Cheers, will order the Hoffman ones :daumenhoch:

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Cheers, will order the Hoffman ones :daumenhoch:

Offline oldskull

• Curb Endo
  • - Freestyler poser -
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 06:24 PM »
United brake mount kit cost me under the 15quid. But makesure your frame got removeable brake mounts
JMC fork wanted for my 1980 JMC Long Standard project

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Its all going wrong :LolLolLolLol:

Got the brake mounts and they fit in the frame but one of the bolts that goes into it wouldn't go in all the way so couldn't sort one side out and now its stuck in there with the brake arm on and the brake from Halfords has the short cable missing to join the arms together :'(

So still brakeless

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 07:34 PM »

Getting there, Decals by Del, changed seat, brake mounts and brake on. Just need short u brake cable

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/animal-bikes-wedge-pivotal-seatpost/rp-prod118778

Animal Wedge seatposts in offer but in colours, if I put it in caustic soda could I polish it? Or better just spraying black?

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Looks like they have a textured finish, So would take a lot to get a chrome/mirror finish.
Strip it and a bit of autosol would be good enough. How much of the post will be visible only a few inches.
If you don't like the look of the silver finish just paint the top half

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Think I will get it I can't get my head round having a slammed seat, plus kids can ride it if I get a new post on it :daumenhoch:

Offline monteryroom

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
I've used liquid drain cleaner for removing Anno. I presume caustic soda is the main ingredient. Don't use oven cleaner, as it's lethal and can also pit the thing you're stripping.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  We The People Zodiac, what year? How to remove seat post? And add brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx