gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975594 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 05, 2024, 04:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Facebook slowly strangling this site?  (Read 12985 times)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
Re: Facebook slowly strangling this site?
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Lets talk about the elephant in the room...

If most folk on this site spent more time contributing towards what this forum is meant to be about "BMX" rather than "what silly things annoy you" (25 pages FFS!) there would be no competition, you wouldn't even worry about FB.

There are some folk in this thread that have been on here longer than me but I can only conclude that they don't actually own a BMX - well you can't do right?  I can't see anything from you in the parts reference section of this site. I gave up adding parts as I ended up feeling like a fookin show off.

TO BE CLEAR, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the lounge and banter, but (i say) contribute first, talk sh1t later. Imagine if say... since the forum rebuild, every member had added 1 OS ad or 1 OS part a week (whats that a 5 minute investment?) imagine what this site would be like now... We wouldn't be having this discussion...

This is a nice idea Chris - with regards to the talking sh1t/posting valid stuff about BMX ratio I will freely admit to being very biased towards the former though :teef: A lot of that is either due to lack of knowledge (while I will freely share what I know I'm mostly learning from others) or not having a vast collection of things to photograph (my 'collection' of 3 bikes has already been fairly well documented)
Please don't ever think that you shouldn't post for fear of being branded a show off - is always nice to see pics of the shiny things!

Probably my favourite types of threads are the 'How-to' restos (or even how not-to), would love to see more of these as they are always really useful when you've got a build on

Its slightly demotivating John when you go back to add another part and you get the pink warning box but not for "someone else has just posted" but "are you sure you want to post as the thread hasn't seen any activity for 120 days"

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2014, 10:48 AM »
This all reminds me of that King Canute fella ... he had about as much luck.

I used to love them from my Psychobilly days, can see what reference they have to this conversation though Ed

/>

Oh Sorry I thought you wrote King Kurt  :LolLolLolLol:

you were never a Psychobilly PMSL! PICTURES!!!! NOW!!!!!

;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I have to agree with you Chris. This site has become about starting threads that have no connection to BMX at all. Like yourself and Dan pointed out, 100 votes in the Botm competition, that's after drilling on here and FB pages to get them to do it BUT, 25 pages of 'What silly things annoy you?'. Members can take time to write on that thread but cannot even comment on someone's build or click the bubble for someone's build in BOTM.

We need to have parts timeline too please. With the Museum's new reference section, there are just pictures for reference, no dating. I have spent a lot of time doing the Mitsuboshi/Tioga timelime due to nothing being set in stone anywhere else. Can we can take the lead in this please Mods? I would love to be able to just go to, say, 1984, and have a look at the parts that were available to help me with my build. There is nothing worse than top see something for sale, google to research for 2 or 3 hours, and come back to find it sold. A date reference section would solve that in minutes. It can easily be policed with comments being removed daily and just pictures posted in the year line.

You could also make the timelines for SST registered users only. If you need the information, make a contribution to other peoples hard work  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:56 AM by Gnarlyscoots™ »
BANNED

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2014, 10:53 AM »
I would agree with Jaan that there are very few posters in the Parts and Reference sections on here (just checked and whilst I have added a few it is mainly just Jaan contributing as can been seen in the list of last posts). I post more in the similar sections on BMXMuseum and Ozbmx than here as they seem to see a lot more traffic. I tried to start a Brum WHEELS register in the same section on here and you can see the ratio of viewers to posters.

Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58 AM »
I'm I getting déjà vu here?
Here we go again .....
I totally agree .. All sales must be on here and here only ...
SST protects Radsters and provides funds for MK!
It's a no brainer!
As for the photo stuff ... Tapatalk is idiot proof !! Even I can use it! Lol

I met so many people at MK who were on the "FB" page  not on here ... Got to say it was a little annoying!  :tickedoff:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2014, 11:03 AM »
We have plenty of users online on a daily/nightly basis but half the time nobodies saying fook all. Think more effort is needed from all of us.  :-\
It's good to talk.  :daumenhoch:

exactly what i said earlier its not difficult to make a comment on someones thread yet more often than not on here you see threads with loads of views and little comments like it or not, and those that use fb will no doubt agree, if you post something bmx on there you will get comments (good & bad) people make an effort to congratulate/berate your builds etc ive had 100+ comments on a build ive posted on fb, and same build got me 3 or 4 on here ok,ok we can all say fook what others think about our rides, but it matters, whether u admit it or not and if i get loads of posative comments on 1 site and not on another its not difficult to understand why people go on fb
.... this thread is on page 4 already if as much passion was shown on the page as is in this thread it'd be easy......
Jono

griff

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2014, 11:05 AM »
I would agree with Jaan that there are very few posters in the Parts and Reference sections on here (just checked and whilst I have added a few it is mainly just Jaan contributing as can been seen in the list of last posts). I post more in the similar sections on BMXMuseum and Ozbmx than here as they seem to see a lot more traffic. I tried to start a Brum WHEELS register in the same section on here and you can see the ratio of viewers to posters.

It's not just laziness, when you get to very specific subjects then often there are only a few people that are truly 'in the know'

Laziness does come into it as well though :teef:

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Terry, a timeline is a great idea, recently we had a thread about fakes and I proposed a thread to help us "spot the difference" did it happen? Will it happen? No! I'm going to tell you about what beer I drink... Isn't that as trite as FB?

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2014, 11:10 AM »
Vote in , and my vote was YES  :daumenhoch: shut it down ...
in your case carl, i agree, get off facebook dont know how much more loved up photos i can take
Jono

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Vote in , and my vote was YES  :daumenhoch: shut it down ...
in your case carl, i agree, get off facebook dont know how much more loved up photos i can take
i don't know Jono, carls other half is a damm sight easier on the eye than his robinsons  ;) :LolLolLolLol:

griff

« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2014, 11:24 AM »
Rather than clutter up individual threads by putting  :bump: comments in them, just wanted to remind people that there are some lovely parts of the forum which they might not have explored yet - the TECH & RESTO STICKIES!!!

tbh I prefer that the photo threads aren't filled with comments that detract from the subject, but looking at the view count they are certainly well-read

have a look here if you haven't been in for a while
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,32.0.html  the advert scans by year are always good for a look
If you have something to add then go for it

I would like to nominate someone to do a proper DX resto thread (or tell me where I can find one) but it's occurred to me that this thread is now being slowly derailed by positive suggestions

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Terry, a timeline is a great idea, recently we had a thread about fakes and I proposed a thread to help us "spot the difference" did it happen? Will it happen? No! I'm going to tell you about what beer I drink... Isn't that as trite as FB?
It's true mate. How many people on here bought one of the 'NOS' DC double bolt seat clamps a few months ago when there seemed to be a mass lot of NOS ones about?

I bet you wouldn't like it when you realise you actually bought a fake guys. There was a thread started on the Museum about them and the differences between them, when someone noticed their sudden arrival on the market. They came from Belgium/Denmark.  It put me off buying three of them.

A good example for having a 'Spot the Difference' thread. People can make up their own minds then whether to buy or not  :daumenhoch:

PS:- I don't drink beer Chris  ;D
BANNED

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2014, 11:54 AM »
BANNED

Offline Macmania

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Wanted: Anything MT Racing

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25 PM »
It's true mate. How many people on here bought one of the 'NOS' DC double bolt seat clamps a few months ago when there seemed to be a mass lot of NOS ones about?

I bet you wouldn't like it when you realise you actually bought a fake guys. There was a thread started on the Museum about them and the differences between them, when someone noticed their sudden arrival on the market. They came from Belgium/Denmark.  It put me off buying three of them.

A good example for having a 'Spot the Difference' thread. People can make up their own minds then whether to buy or not  :daumenhoch:

fook
i think i have had my pants pulled down on this
i traded a black tuf neck clamp for one  :'(
on here too  :knuppel2:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28 PM »

fook
i think i have had my pants pulled down on this
i traded a black tuf neck clamp for one  :'(
on here too  :knuppel2:
is there a link to the thread ?

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2014, 12:41 PM »
well i think it should go on the vote above
if any facebook radbmx only users wish to have their vote count, they can join the main site and cast their vote
i voted to get rid but if the overall vote is to keep it then thats fine, fair votin  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2014, 12:56 PM »
if any facebook radbmx only users wish to have their vote count, they can join the main site and cast their vote
i voted to get rid but if the overall vote is to keep it then thats fine, fair votin  :daumenhoch:

trouble is most of the "no" vote is coming from those that dont use it, yet you want to take it away from those of us that do  >:(
some seem to think its the reason why there is things supposedly wrong with the main site, well its not and getting rid of it wont change anything here, people wont suddenly come flooding on here, they will go to other FB pages and not even hear about RAD.
when most people go online now to find somewhere to talk about something the first place they look is social media because its quicker and easier, without a FB page to use as an advert for the main site eventually it will die.  :(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:10 PM by 58 delray »

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2014, 01:09 PM »

trouble is most of the "no" vote is coming from those that dont use it, yet you want to take it away from those of us that do  >:(

the vote is the vote
the facebook page has had 90 replies of which 75 said they use both. if they cast a vote on here and the vote goes in favour to keep then it stays
is that not the fairest way? i use both but want to try and safeguard the future of this site and not a satellite group tbh and thats why I voted to get rid
no point in speculating the outcome of the vote until all votes are cast?

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2014, 01:16 PM »

the vote is the vote
the facebook page has had 90 replies of which 75 said they use both. if they cast a vote on here and the vote goes in favour to keep then it stays
is that not the fairest way? i use both but want to try and safeguard the future of this site and not a satellite group tbh and thats why I voted to get rid
no point in speculating the outcome of the vote until all votes are cast?
well i for one dont think getting rid of of the fb page is a way of safeguarding the site, more like a way of speeding up its demise  :(

griff

« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2014, 01:39 PM »
DX resto thread (or tell me where I can find one)

Here  >>  http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=123605

Here >>http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,176177.0.html

Paul (Monkian) did a good one aswell  http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131361.msg1264028.html#msg1264028

Try finding one of those on Facebook  :D

Thanks Joffy

I've made both of those sticky, if I get a minute I'll try and merge them or something

As for finding them on FB - I think I might just post the link on there and see if it attracts any attention :teef:

rodriguez

« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41 PM »
I've been a member for a about 5 years and have always had an SST because I sign up to be a member of an online community that has a shared interest in BMX similar to myself.

I reckon you should buy the SST because it's an online community you want to be part of and contribute to, facebook has it's place but a forum is a better platform for reference purposes, tech and restoration how to's, project threads that are updated as they progress etc etc.

Maybe the time has come to bite the bullet and have limited access to other parts of the site too, ie, you can look but not post or possibly no access at all to other sections for people who don't have the SST.  I think using the For Sale section alone as a lever for people to have the SST is over given the multitude of other platforms that are available and used by nearly every member of this site, Facebook, Gumtree, Ebay to sell their stuff.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:27 PM by rodriguez »

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2014, 05:03 PM »
DX resto thread (or tell me where I can find one)

Here  >>  http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=123605

Here >>http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,176177.0.html

Paul (Monkian) did a good one aswell  http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131361.msg1264028.html#msg1264028

Try finding one of those on Facebook  :D

Thanks Joffy

I've made both of those sticky, if I get a minute I'll try and merge them or something

As for finding them on FB - I think I might just post the link on there and see if it attracts any attention :teef:

:D   :daumenhoch:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2014, 05:51 PM »
the big percentage of us started on  :radbmxsmilie: long before facebook had "popular" bmx pages. this is were we met so to speek. as so many have said  :radbmxsmilie: is a great place to find resto and references to builds / parts. its because of :radbmxsmilie: we all enjoy M.K. and we have all look in RADS museum for reference and drooled over the builds of RADSTERS. just ask your self the question ... how many mates have you made because of  :radbmxsmilie: ? how many rides have you been on because of  :radbmxsmilie:. ?

Dont get me wrong , facebook does have a place . It does "suit" a lot of peoples lifes simply because you may have many "interests" and on facebook you can access them all at the same time. BUT it does not offer as much as RADBMX does , and it should'nt be a replacement ...

ive no doubt this discussion will raise its head time after time. but if  :radbmxsmilie: was no longer what then ? most of us at some point have a bit of a lull , and dont log in for a short period of time . BUT we all come back . WHY? coz its the best place to be  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Facebook slowly strangling this site?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx