gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 03:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  RIP Dan $ Stephenson
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: RIP Dan $ Stephenson  (Read 9404 times)

In2bmx

RIP Dan $ Stephenson
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:31 AM »
I'm still in total shock over the fatal accident on the London ride this weekend .  :(

I was having a good chat with Dan an hour before the accident, he was saying he was excited about coming to his first MK this year  :(
He was such an honest happy person, always smiling and never had a problem with anyone.

My thoughts go out to his close friends ,Nicola and his children  :'( 

RIP DAN CASH STEPHENSON . A BMX brother lost too soon .. Ride in Peace.

We all love the RAD rides and they are getting bigger each year. I think we should sit back and take a good look at what has happened here .
Accidents do happen , but this can't happen again .

We were jumping red lights, me included  :( . The ride organisers need to learn from this horrible accident. Make changes to routes .
Avoid roads where possible.
All stick together .. There were a few groups on Saturday splitting off .
We all need to abide to the laws of the road in the future .

RIP DAN  :'( .

Carl

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 01:00 PM by in2bmx »

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Re: RIP Dan $ Stephenson
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Shocked,  upset and truly saddened to hear about Dans passing.  Our love and thoughts are with Nicola and his family.  RIP Dan xx

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Dan was such a great man & the nicest nutter I've met.  I'm terribly saddened by it all  :'(
Deepest, deepest condolences to Nic, his kids,all the family & friends

R.I.P Dan $
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 10:54 AM »
No one should go on a RAD ride out and not return home  :(

I agree with your comments Carl and for those of us on the ride with Dan it has come as a massive shock and a big reality check .

Dan was a fellow BMX'er and above all a thoroughly nice lad , he will be missed by all that had the fortune to meet him . My thoughts and prayers are with his family and many friends .

R.I.P    $ DAN $  :(
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Online CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Very saddened to hear this.  :'(
RIP Dan
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:59 AM »
There's probably not a lot that any of us can write here, to truly explain how gutted we are about this tragedy. It's been a huge shock to all that knew him, and equally a huge shock for people, like myself that didn't know him.

Life can be so unfair and cruel at times, but an accident of this level is absolutely devastating, particularly as Dan was doing a fun thing, something he loved doing. I can only imagine what Nicola and his poor children must be going through today.

Even before the tragic news last night, that poor Dan had left us, I'd spent the day thinking about a guy I'd never met, and how what had happened to him will probably change my future. Everything as been put into perspective, as this guy had been doing exactly what I had been doing just 6 days earlier in Liverpool - it could easily be my family grieving - our any one of our famillies grieving.

I agree with Carl's points about safety, and maybe some of us need to ease off the madness a little. Just look at Griff and Ben last year, and how easily these accidents happen.

If we take anything from Dan's tragedy, it's that we need to calm down, and look out for each other, that's what famillies do.

RIP Dan Cash.  :'(

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline thebigdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Sad sad news ... Didnt know him personally but R.I.P, thoughts with family for sure at this time

Was only out on my bmx yesterday and having a few beers , you think ur invincible.

What happened really brings it home..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 11:03 AM »
Ride in peace Ca$h  :'(
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

rodriguez

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:16 AM »
RIP Dan $

Offline Bigfrawg

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Shocker for sure , first time I met the bloke and was having a right laugh with the crazy b4stard outside the pub before it happened .
RIP Dan

Offline torkerdude180

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Totally agree with you all, carl, joffy and dan.......
RIP Dan $.
THE TIGER

Offline dilybum

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 11:21 AM »
Truly saddened by this news, met Dan on a santas ride with Nicola and has great banter with him ever since!

I cant imagine how his children and Belved Nicola are feeling.

To lose your life when having a days fun out, is just so wrong.

Rip Dan Cash Code Stevenson

with all the tributes to him, and his nature, he is obvioulsy going to be sorely missed

Mark x

griff

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2016, 11:49 AM »
My heart goes out to Nicola and his kids, such a cruel & tragic loss

Dan was such a warm and friendly guy and as can be seen much loved by many people, we were devastated to hear the news come through of his accident - I didn't handle it too well tbh but thankfully had some good mates around

As has been said already this has given many of us (& our families) a lot to think about.
This could just as easily have been one of us, no amount of planning is going to remove the danger of riding in a place like London, even if you find a route that is mostly off-road then you have to find a way to get there and back which will still mean braving the traffic.

While organisers can demand people wear helmets, as long as there is no legal requirement it will remain a personal choice - but I think that many will consider doing it now.

It's a horrible reminder of just how fragile life is - nothing can be taken for granted and we should all try and get along a bit better while we're still here.

R.I.P. Dan - you'll be missed mate  :'(

Offline x600se

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 12:06 PM »
Tragic and devastating news. His poor family. Couldnt believe I was reading this about a rad ride having been to so many of the MK's. As has been said this brings it right home.

FFS take care lads and wear helmets   :'(

RIP

Offline Clean

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Terrible news. I didn't know Dan, but we have lost one of our own, and that is very sad.

Perhaps it is time to reconsider how we organise our rides?

The gatherings are the reason I stay into this hobby; the bikes are now really just a means to that end for me. When I think about how I tear arse around on our rides, minus helmet, and plus a few beers, this weekend's sad loss has made me realise that we are not invincible just because we are on a kid's bike.

Getting back on a style of bike that I had so much fun when I still had the innocence and naive invincibility of childhood does not mean that I am actually invincible, even if those childhood memories prompt the feeling.

Dan's legacy could be to ensure that our rides become safer, whilst being no less fun; I will sign up to that and take me helmet in future.

RIP Dan; gone but not forgotten.

Richard.

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 12:30 PM »
Have been waiting for an appropriate thread to appear as didn't want to comment before others felt it was right too.

I whole heartily agree with everything you have said Carl.. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Shocked and stunned ... Tragic ..
I couldn't  even face riding my bike back to Waterloo on Saturday .. Andy and I walked them back ...

As Joff and Dan  have said .. No one should go out on a Rad ride and not come back.

Minutes before the accident those that rode that stretch must of all felt as scared and as shock up as I did ... It was insanity and  someone was always going to get hurt.
Hindsight is a terrible thing but we must learn from this as a mark of respect to Dan himself and his family.

It has been suggested on FB that we perhaps dedicate a ride to Dan wearing tartan and dollar signs.
It seems a fitting tribute to me and a sign that Dan and his family are still deep in our thoughts.
How about those of us going on the Blackpool ride do this as it's the next ride in the Rad calendar?
Just a suggestion and I'm only thinking out loud at this moment as the whole thing is just so tragic and so devastating.
RIP Dan 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:36 PM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Heartbreaking news. Godspeed Dan.

I don't participate in any rides as my family has been so closely affected by a similar accident - I just can't cycle on roads anymore.

Please tell me you guys don't cycle on roads after drinking... 

Offline Banachek

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2016, 12:35 PM »
 Gutted to hear this. I feel truly heartbroken for Dan's family & friends. Never met him but still can't get my head around such a tragedy. RIP

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 12:50 PM »
Such a tragic loss, I must've left to make my way home just before the news got to you guys at Trafalgar square.  It really shook me up when I found out later in the evening so I'm not sure how I would've accepted it had I been there still.

I didn't know Dan personally but had spoken to him on many rides in the past, he always had a smile on his face and came across as a real nice fella.

Thoughts go out to his family  :'(

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Heartbreaking news. Godspeed Dan.

I don't participate in any rides as my family has been so closely affected by a similar accident - I just can't cycle on roads anymore.

Please tell me you guys don't cycle on roads after drinking...

I have to echo the words of Chris above as I also don't participate in ride outs or cycle on the roads anymore after being hit myself many years ago breaking my collar bone (i was lucky, Very lucky)..

I didn't know Dan although i'd seen a few of his posts around Facebook, seems he was clearly a popular fella & it is indeed a tragedy as no one should lose their life to their hobby..

Please if you go on these ride outs Stay RAD, look after each other & above all take all the sensible safety precautions you can.   

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Thoughts are with his family and friends; RIP Dan.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2016, 02:21 PM »
For me this has been devastating, my thoughts are with Nicola and his family, making that call to her on the day was a very hard thing to do.

I totally agree with the points made above and I will be asking peeps to wear a lid on all future rides for their own safety.

Dan got side swiped by a bus, this wasn't at a high speed and there wasn't anything he could do to avoid it,the bus driver just didn't see him, he fell off to his right and banged his head hard on the ground, he didn't get run over, I would imagine if he was wearing a lid the outcome would be different.

For this reason I would ask all the guys that go on rides to take a little time to ingest just what happened this weekend and think about wearing a lid in the future, plus slow the riding pace down.

We all need to go home to our loved ones.

R.I.P Dan $ Stephenson

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Echo all the comments above - I didn't really know Dan, but knew his love and passion for BMX.

In utter shock when I was told about the accident on Saturday and so sad we have lost a BMX brother.

Over the next few days we will organise a collection fund for Dan and the family, and will remember him with either a ride or gathering.

RIP Dan Cash x

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Nice lad, sad loss met him a couple of times, I'm pretty stunned tbh as although we weren't mates, some of you guys are and it could so easily have been any of us, (northern monkeys).   London tbh is hectic and not ideal for drunken riding I have been on the last couple of London rides and traffic isn't cycle friendly combined with alcohol the roads aren't safe, I didn't feel safe but I was pissed n didn't bother, I'll think twice from now on, as for organised ride outs in Dans name it's probably best that it's left to those close to him to decide the format whether it be a big ride, an MK tribute or a tribute day where riders organise their own little ride outs nationwide in his honour (seems best) like Carl said roads (especially busy ones) should be taken into consideration when planning rides and all should stay together during the ride outs from now on , London of all the many rides I've been on is a huddle and bustle city and its very easy for it to splinter as it did for the last 2 years previous people getting lost , left behind etc there's no rush just because the city is, take our time, stay together which will make us more visible to others , make sure when we leave a bar, as Brett always does give plenty of notice so people aren't left behind (just ordered food/drink) and make sure this doesn't happen again, I want to spend the next few years being gutted for missing a ride, not relieved I wasn't there to witness this !! Stay safe guys and be excellent to each other

Ps I've deactivated my FB account for those who are friends, just for a week or so, can't handle the vibes, I like to take the piss n wind people up on there, this is not the week for either so I'm out
Jono

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2016, 03:06 PM »
Agree with Jono's points about splinter groups .. I always think safety in numbers on the rides but too many people on Saturday couldn't wait for others to finish or even arrive at Waterloo before dashing to the next pub leading to several smaller more vulnerable groups playing catch up around a city they don't know very well.
As Jono said lets learn from this .. It's not about blame or pointing the finger in any way . Please don't get me wrong ... It's  about Radsters working together to keep everyone safe in future.

Like Jono I also want some time out , in my case from carrying on my build thread because I don't think it's appropriate at this time.
Ant 
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  RIP Dan $ Stephenson

gfxgfx
gfx gfx