gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 22, 2024, 01:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  RIP Dan $ Stephenson
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: RIP Dan $ Stephenson  (Read 9400 times)

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
Re: RIP Dan $ Stephenson
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Exactly how I felt people were saying where's next pub, n shooting off coz they knew where it was leaving us strangers concentrating more on keeping up with the guy in front than what was in our immediate surroundings to be fair last year Griff kept a good reign on it as it was bedlam the year before me n Gaz Hulmes were on our own, no other northerners on it (that we knew) and we didn't have a clue where we were by the time we'd climber the steps at the bridge most were over the bridge n gone, last year I lost everyone (probably the vodkas fault) tbh but luckily Dave Racine came n found me
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 03:48 PM by Jono »
Jono

Offline cheeta

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 04:42 PM »
I remember meeting Dan on the last years London ride, he stood out from the crowd with his bike and clothes he wore, I couldn't make the ride on Saturday and only found out Sunday evening what had happened and was shocked and numb because the rides are great fun and full of laughs, nobody expects such a terrible thing to happen RIP DAN

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2016, 05:15 PM »
Absolutely terrible news. I was watching out for updates all yesterday having seen the early posts. I think this will touch everybody in the hobby and I have seen comments and posts from the U.S. guys already, sending their support. I chatted to the wife about this last night as I myself had been kind of joking around with my folks about me not wearing a helmet on the up-coming London to Brighton charity ride later this year. I was saying 'well you didn't make me wear one when you let me out on my BMX back in the day'....

I guess it is now time to accept that the roads have changed, and we have changed.

Rachel has mentioned that the local councils might begin insisting they get some prior notice before large group gatherings in future in light of this terrible accident; this could assist with route planning and might even get officials involved to help moving people from A to B.

I imagine a few people will have their old racing lids from BITD; I have coincidentally sourced one a couple of weeks ago, but how solid they might be is another question after all of these years. Anything will be better than nothing of course so maybe there should be heavier emphasis on this side of the hobby as everybody spends cash on beautiful bikes, but matching lids would be a lovely addition too, and I for one would love to see them being used again. Nothing will match a new, modern item though.

Thoughts with Dan's family today. This can't happen again.
Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2016, 06:54 PM »
Such a sad happening. Never had the pleasure of meeting Dan. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family.

R.I.P Dan.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 07:26 PM »
 :'(  terrible  news

my thoughts and condolences  to his family

not been on many ride outs ,  the first being Cleethorpes the other year , we met at the local track for  a  bit of racing , i had full face helmet, gloves and full knee/shin pads , which i wore to ride the track , upon leaving the track i stuffed all my kit in a rucksack and went of on the ride,  it never even crossed my mind at the time or on subsequent rides that something as tragic as this could happen . 

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:16 PM by oldtired »

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 07:57 PM »
I only met Dan on saturday and seems a happy go luck chap and such horrible news to hear what had happened as i left before the incident took place .
I haven`t done the london ride for a few years and lots had changed ie the route along the river was dangerous as so many more tourist`s than before . we seem to stop for long periods of time at pubs and the route was over the shop ,going down one way roads the wrong way and people jumping lights in front of police cars and the weaving in and out of the bus lanes ,it was a accident wait to happen .
Not take it away from whoever organise it as we are all to blame but we need to think more about the route and maybe get all the riding done first before getting pissed up as i know some people had done 4 or 5 pints by 5 pm which is fine but when your in control of a bmx in london and you could get nicked for drink driving as still a offense if over the limit .
I loved the rides but we need to think more when doing them 

rest in peace Dan
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 08:30 PM »
Brother's in arms and Comrades. 

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 08:31 PM »
I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. Whenever i go on a ramp night i wear my helmet. When i'm at home and go for a ride either on my BMX or mountain bike, i wear a helmet. But, and it's a big but, i've never worn a helmet on any of the many rad rides. Why? I suppose it's the feeling that you're just rolling from pub to pub/place to place. Also it's the feeling of safety in numbers and being part of a gang. I always feel safer riding on the rides than i would riding alone on the roads. The truth is that you're always at risk, at high or low speed, and alone or as part of a group. I will be wearing my helmet on the rides in future. It's such a shame that it's taken a tragedy like this to make it hit home. Although i was there on Saturday, i never had the pleasure of meeting Dan. R.I.P Dan, my BMX brother
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:35 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 08:32 PM »
It's a myth, it's an offence if you're not in control of the bike due to drugs and alcohol which means you're not capable of riding it, ( fixed penalty £30) you are not obliged to give breath blood or urine and no endorsements on your licence apply it's about as useful as it being an offence to be drunk in a public place (who hasn't) and who's ever been done, unless other offences occurred , having said that you've made some other valid points but it's not realistic to expect people to turn up to a rad ride n leave the boozing til after the rides finished, if that became the norm, I'd sell up now as I only use them to get between pubs without having to walk, we'll learn from the weekend and move on, having only a couple of 5 min chats with Dan I won't attempt to speak for him, but I'll speak for me and all of the radsters I know by guessing they'd all expect us to carry on bigger n better, faster and harder but from now on keep more of an eye on each other
Jono

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I'm so sad to be reading this  :'(

I don't know Dan or even met him, but my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

R.I.P my fellow BMX'er.

Offline tickz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I didnt know Dan and have never had a ride out, but know a good geezer when I see one

RiP matey

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Condolences and our prayers for Dans family. Ride in peace! :'(
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Lovely man in many ways. Ride In Peace Dan
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Jono

Offline Hurricane1

• Curb Endo
  • Goin flat out critical in the 80's
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Sincere condolences to his family & friends
R.I.P Dan

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 10:02 PM »
Very sad news  :'(

RIP Dan

2 minutes turkish...

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2016, 10:52 PM »
Sad sad news condolences to all the family.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2016, 11:18 PM »
I'm not trying to be controversal at this difficult time but wearing a helmet won't stop accidents.

8 cyclists have been killed this year ... all wearing helmets.

I have only been on one of these rides in London ... years back for Great Ormond Street ... and one point that is coming out is very true ...  there is strength in numbers. When the people on the ride rode together then they ruled the road ... traffic had to wait and that was that ... so sticking together and making sure the fastest and the slowest are all in the same group is something that MUST happen. When the pack spread out and I was riding single file with my daughter and her friend in front then buses took the piss and got too close ... theres even statistics that show that drivers are LESS inclined to be careful near cyclists wearing helmets BECAUSE they are wearing them... what kind of madness is that.

I had never met Dan but we chatted recently as he bought some stuff off me ... this is a tragic accident ... but its not the fault of riding a bike or not wearing a helmet ... look at the numbers of pedestrian deaths on London roads... obviously, as Stu has explained as he witnessed it, a helmet could have helped Dan ... but what's much more important is the lesson that if we head out to have a fun day ... the streets are a dangerous place... and we are safer sticking together in groups on these rides ... organisers can only do so much ... it comes down to each and every rider to choose to do whats right.

Its just such a shame that a tragedy like this is needed to bring the message home.

RIP Dan ... I hope your passing is the catalyst to make things better and safer for everyone... which is something I'm sure you would be proud of.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:22 PM by ED209 »
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2016, 11:31 PM »
Bang on ED
Jono

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2016, 11:38 PM »
Bang on ED

Spot on. Every time we step outside our homes, and in everything we do, we take calculated risks. All we can do in the future is to try and minimise those risks, whilst still doing the things we love, be it BMX or whatever

In2bmx

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Bang on ED
Spot on Ed . i totally agree mate. We need to stick together,safety in numbers.

But from now on i'll be wearing a helmet on the rides  :daumenhoch:  Mrs has put her foot down .Helmet or i don't ride. Which i think is fair.

For once i'm listening to her  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2016, 09:05 AM »
R.I.P Dan  fistblump

BANNED

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2016, 09:16 AM »
R.I.P. Dan

My thoughts are with you, your family and friends in this truly difficult time
Such a tragic shame  :'(

Offline mrs_stidds

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2016, 10:31 AM »

I have only been on one of these rides in London ... years back for Great Ormond Street ... and one point that is coming out is very true ...  there is strength in numbers. When the people on the ride rode together then they ruled the road ... traffic had to wait and that was that ... so sticking together and making sure the fastest and the slowest are all in the same group is something that MUST happen. When the pack spread out and I was riding single file with my daughter and her friend in front then buses took the piss and got too close ... theres even statistics that show that drivers are LESS inclined to be careful near cyclists wearing helmets BECAUSE they are wearing them... what kind of madness is that.

RIP Dan ... I hope your passing is the catalyst to make things better and safer for everyone... which is something I'm sure you would be proud of.

I too have only been on one London Ride (2007 Children In Need) and have been too scared to go on another since.  Had a bad experience whilst passing a bendy-bus in that it went to pull out from a stop as we were about half way alongside it.  Having said that, accidents do and will happen even in places you think are pretty safe (didn't someone skim their head under the bridge on last year's lake-ride).  Hopefully we have all learnt a valuable lesson from this weekend - protect ourselves and stick together.

Ride-on, Dan Cash x

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  RIP Dan $ Stephenson

gfxgfx
gfx gfx