gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975594 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 05, 2024, 03:01 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.  (Read 7289 times)

akh666

Hi everyone,

Just got back into this Old School lark (again) by accident and now its eating away at me? Anyway. Any advice on a nice freestyler that would give me back a bit of cred (which I lost in `86) but will be practical?
I am after a rider and not a show bike but want a good old schooler. Would pay up to £300. I`ve been looking at Streetbeats, Freestyler masters and Sports but know not what I do.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :daumenhoch:

weston

Re: Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 08:56 PM »
check out my streetbeat in the museum, yours for £200, & its a rider not a showbike, looks far better in the flesh, ask motomag...

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 09:19 PM »
Get a haro.

There the best  :daumenhoch:

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:24 PM »
but not one he wants lol
youll never hear the end of it lol
 :P

trixr4kidz

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 09:51 PM »
The retro haro sport would be a good choice.  Sub £200 leaving a bit of spare cash to lighten it up a bit. 

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 10:24 PM »
Do yourself a favor, get a new school bike now instead of in six months time and save some money  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

akh666

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 02:14 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Can anyone tell me whether the Quadangle would make a good rider? I feel like splashing out on what could possibly be my only BMX purchase. My kitty has just risen by £100. Thanks again.

Trev

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Do yourself a favor, get a new school bike now instead of in six months time and save some money  :daumenhoch:

I agree.  I bought an old school bike to ride when I was getting back into it, then ended up buying a new school a month or so later.  Cut out the middle man (bike) and save yourself some bucks.

Old school bikes are for show nowdays not for riding.  I didn't believe it either when I got back into it.....

selfpreservation

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Can anyone tell me whether the Quadangle would make a good rider? I feel like splashing out on what could possibly be my only BMX purchase. My kitty has just risen by £100. Thanks again.
they are made of balsa wood

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 01:57 PM »

Yes, If you want to ride it, then, get your self a New skool.

Or a New skool with an old skool look  ;D

akh666

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 05:48 PM »
Interesting info thanks. When I say ride though I mean a gentle one with my daughter and wife on a Sunday. I`m too old for the half pipe now. Still no good?

Trev

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 05:52 PM »
you're never too old to ride a half pipe.

we saw our very own Billy Stupple riding one last night at the ripe old age of 41.

Reminds me of BITD when Neil Stevens was the grand-daddy of BMX at 23....  :LolLolLolLol:

Flaz

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Interesting info thanks. When I say ride though I mean a gentle one with my daughter and wife on a Sunday. I`m too old for the half pipe now. Still no good?

yeah everyone says that

then you go to a skatepark have a little roll around a couple of little jumps 

then before you know it

you'll be down casualty like the rest of us  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:  :LolLolLolLol:

HOOKED take the advice get a new school £300 you'll get what ya need

akh666

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 06:05 PM »
I guarantee I won`t be doing any jumps and the new school thing is defeating the object so now i`m chuffed off. There must be a half strong old schooler for a Sunday jaunt surely. Come on guys frickin help me out here. I need to do this i`m 37 now and my knees are still intact, just. Thanks again.

trill

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 06:16 PM »
yer u can take the wife & kid 4 a gentle one down rom on a sunday afternoon.

Trev

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2006, 06:18 PM »

or the morning when the rest of us old gits are there.  :laugh:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006, 06:43 PM »
I guarantee I won`t be doing any jumps and the new school thing is defeating the object so now i`m chuffed off. There must be a half strong old schooler for a Sunday jaunt surely. Come on guys frickin help me out here. I need to do this i`m 37 now and my knees are still intact, just. Thanks again.

Get a Haro Master 85 then, there`s still a few nos ones about and they are quite strong. I wouldn`t use any f/f thats been used and is twenty yearsa old tbh because no matter how good it looks you can`t tell if there`s any stress on it, or if it`s rusting from the inside out.

If they are too exspensive then a nos Prolite Reflex will do ya  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

akh666

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 07:27 AM »
I fully intend to buy NOS anyway so no danger there.

Thanks for the info..

Just for info whats the ultimate Old School dream bike for everyone? Going to get a poll going but I reckon Hutch will p$£s it.

Ta for now
 :daumenhoch:

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 11:14 AM »
I fully intend to buy NOS anyway so no danger there.

Thanks for the info..

Just for info whats the ultimate Old School dream bike for everyone? Going to get a poll going but I reckon Hutch will p$£s it.

Ta for now
 :daumenhoch:

I still like Skyway T/A's  :smitten:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:

jstring

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 11:48 AM »
Ok I'm fairly new on here and I don't want to be controversial but what the hell is so wrong with old school bikes?  Everyone seems to be under the impression that they were made of silly putty or something!  After 23 years of riding the only bike that I have ever broken was a Raliegh Ultra Burner (actually I think that they were made out of silly putty!) I managed to mildly bend a trickstar once but I did fall from about 20 feet (off the back of a quaterpipe - not sure how I got it so wrong!!!) and even then it straightend out and was riden by my brother for years.

OK, there have been technical inovations, brakes are better, headsets are better, 3 piece cranks are cheaper, alloy wheels actually stay straight for more than a day.  But tune in your brakes (using quality components only), fit a decent locking headset, maybe a sealed bearing on your crank and......hmmm......yes the wheels were rubbish but skyways last forever (even though they are heavy) look fantastic and you could always bolt in a set of modern wheels for serious riding if you really feel the need).

I've got nothing against new school bikes.  I am considering one myself.  But you could argue that they often have quite lazy geometry that makes them great for jumping but quite tricky to really chuck around.  Most of all, they lack soul (at least they do at the moment - in a few years everyone will be saying that they are bendy and they will become classics!!!!).  Also, new school bars are too narrow and what happened to the seat posts?  What's that all about? :LolLolLolLol:

If you like the look of and old school bike, buy one and ride it.  The chances are that you won't break it, unless you are a real dufus.  And if you do, at least it died doing what it was built for.  I always liked the trickstar and rl-20 but they are wildly expensive now. DP freestylers were nice and I can't imagine that they are that expensive.  Many posters on here love Haros and GT performers.  So do I.  That would be my pick list.  As long as you stick to fully 4130 frames, I don't think you will have a problem.  Aluminium frames are OK but for really abusive dirt jumping type use, I have seen a few snap.  Oh no! now I'm saying oldschool bikes break!! It's infectious!!!!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 12:36 PM »
Street beat..........lots about=cheap as chips+strong as fook! 

Or aero reflex.........lots about=as cheap as the chip wrapper+doesn't matter if it breaks as there's lots about and cheap.   :daumenhoch:

jstring

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Yeah, I like those reflexes.  Quite tempted by one myself.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Yes....very pleased with mine  :smitten:  and all built for less than £70! 

Go on......treat yourself!   ;)

madall

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Streetbeat is tuffer than the Aero Reflex as I have bent mine at the drop outs, straightened no probs and no kinks

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Freestyle Old School Rider. Any suggestions gratefully taken.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx