gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 06, 2024, 12:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  --- Anyone remember Denham Roundabout Quarterpipe? ---
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: --- Anyone remember Denham Roundabout Quarterpipe? ---  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
--- Anyone remember Denham Roundabout Quarterpipe? ---
« on: January 20, 2007, 09:33 PM »

These are the only pics I can find of the place at the moment...they are of me during our 'King of Denham Quarterpipe' comp in 1984...well, I had to win something!

Those boys on top of the ramp had to get real low to see air under my tyres!  ;D

Anyone else remember it? That's the M40 in the background...  8)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: --- Anyone remember Denham Roundabout Quarterpipe? ---
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:05 PM »
Now thats a proper old school quarter pipe  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:06 PM »
is that pete trying to look at your arse   ;)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:09 PM »
Dave, rode it heaps of times with John Povah, Boyd Walker, Lee Shurey, Dave Landy, Warren King, Nicky Tyrell, Paul Salter, Antony Davidson and loads of others  :daumenhoch:

Have a dig around, you might find a pic of me, so surprising we didn't know each other back then  :LolLolLolLol:

I drive past where that used to be aplmost every day and look and think about what a laugh we used to have there  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I remember John Povah and also Paul Salter seems to ring a bell...who was the guy at the farm who owned it?

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 10:23 PM »
I remember John Povah and also Paul Salter seems to ring a bell...who was the guy at the farm who owned it?

Can't remember who it was that owned it, often thought of knocking on the door and asking if they still live there  :LolLolLolLol:

Paul Salter (dark curly hair) still has a mint DB Leary Pro, Skyway XL, Bandito, Ripper and heaps more in his loft, won't sell any of them though  :tickedoff: 

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 12:22 AM »
Anthony Davidson?

The F1 driver these days?   He's managed by Peter Hawkins if its the same bloke, he's the 3rd driver for one of the bigger teams I believe.

John Povah went on to be a fairly big cheese in America if I'm not mistaken   :)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Anthony Davidson?

The F1 driver these days?   He's managed by Peter Hawkins if its the same bloke, he's the 3rd driver for one of the bigger teams I believe.

John Povah went on to be a fairly big cheese in America if I'm not mistaken   :)

Nah, this Antony Davidson was a tall lanky fella, would never fit in an F1 car, bloody rad though used to live in Yiewsley off Pear Tree Ave and was a good mate of Paul Salter's.  John is manager of the Etnies BMX team, so hasn't done too bad by the looks of it, I send him the odd email now and then and sometimes he replies  ;D

gudge

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 07:40 PM »
The bloke who owned the Denham quarter was a bloke by the name of Darren Horney(serious)
His old man owns all of that farm land around that area , must be worth millions by now. I think Darren owns the house you can see from the motorway,looks like a footballers mock tudor mansion .
Before that ramp was taken down it was nearl
y 18ft high, with no vert, and so local legend has it there was only one man who ever got out the top of it, a certain Mr. Billy Stupple!!
Bill You turned up there with Paul Hudson, Darren and Sam Wood and one other Skyway rider. It was after some demo somewhere, and the ramp was on the way back to woody's house. I remember it v.well. Big day when the Skyway freestyle team turn up at your local spot. Ring any bells?
I really didn't think there were any shots of that ramp, nobody i knew then was brave enough to nick their mum and dad's camera , and we certainly didn't have one of our own. So cheers for that Dave. You haven't got any shots from Hearns ramp in Tatling End or the legendary Mushroom Farm have you?
Speaking of Woody, my sister is in contact with him and he is just about to have his first kid. I told her to tell him about the site so we'll see if he posts anything. Last i saw of him he was a real big fella but could still pull 360's on borrowed kids bikes. Total talent never dies!!!!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Well I don`t remember it, but it does ring some bells.  I do remember doing plenty of demo`s with Sam and Darren so it would be correct that we would be with them, and I think they lived in Hillingdon so the M40 would be right, I think this must be the ramp that John Povah mentioned in ride, the other Skyway rider must have been Craig Campbell  ::)

gudge

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Hello Bill,
I don't think this is the ramp John was on about, i've got a feeling Darren would have dragged you lot over to Bosenquet close where John's ramp was. If you had done a demo say at hillingdon hawks (which i know happened once or twice) Johns ramp was only round the corner, and about the time he got signed for raleigh i know alot of big names showed up there. Can't say for sure, i wasn't there! We'll have to see if Povah comes back on the site.
Darren lived in Denham by the way. Thinking about it i must try and get him to post on this site. The bloke has got so many great stories from bitd

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 09:47 PM »
I remember having to finish work early on every Friday, going home and loading up the car, then driving up to Windsor via the Embankment, up to Sheppards Bush roundabout, then either down the Uxbridge road or on to the M40 and on to Windsor to meet up with Peter Hawkins and Paul and Craig then we`ed make our way to where ever we were doing a demo that weekend, usually staying overnight in a hotel on the Friday and Saturday.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 07:30 PM »
Ah, the mushroom farm...if I could track down my mate Chris Taylor, I suspect he would have some pics!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 10:25 PM »
Ah, the mushroom farm...if I could track down my mate Chris Taylor, I suspect he would have some pics!

The smell  :LolLolLolLol:

gudge

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Definatly a task for this year, try and get those pics. I just remember a huge tabletop made from pallets and asbestos sheets!
Denhams own Picketts Lock!!!  :2funny:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  --- Anyone remember Denham Roundabout Quarterpipe? ---

gfxgfx
gfx gfx