gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 02:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Bored so went on a personal BMX history trip.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bored so went on a personal BMX history trip.  (Read 1038 times)

WizardWeb

Bored so went on a personal BMX history trip.
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Nothing to do today, but the the weather wasn't bad, so I got on my trusty GT MTB and pedalled over to my old home town, Rayleigh. On the way there, I decided to revisit some old BMX haunts. If 'd had the idea before I left the house, I'd have taken the BMX and tried the new ramps in the park...

Funny how some thing change and other stay the same. After riding past my parents old house, I went past the shop Craig Campbells folks owned then up the road to their house.

Remember his photo:

I found myself sitting on my bike just where I used to watch just such antics going on:

Then up the road to the site where I learnt how to jump on a primitive 80's trail round the natural pond where we'd catch newts. Some kid on a yellow Pirahna (with metal mags) showed me how to fly and I pestered my dad even more to get me a BMX to replace my grifter XL. Sadly after sitting empty for years, the site is now a nursing home. I don't think the olds would appreciate me invading their flower garden...  ;)

Finally off to Rayleigh BMX Track. Hadn't been there for years and it was in a bit of a state when I last saw it. It seems to have turned into some trails and the table top (right of photo) is a lot smaller than when I were a lad.... :)

I can't remember the bracket for the start gate ever being used....

Then I decided to go home, descended the side of the start hill and quickly reminded myself why street tyres on an MTB aren't a good choice for mud. When I tried to turn a corner, I slid into a tree stump and flipped the bars !  :LolLolLolLol:

Haven't done that in years and I didn't care, cos this time my mum wasn't going to yell at me for getting my clothes muddy !

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Bored so went on a personal BMX history trip.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:05 PM »
out long was yu,
i lived in wickford not to far from there   :)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:06 PM »
How cool a day was that....me an 796 went over to eastway last year, same story, overgrown and neglected :-[

We are going to the track in walthamstow soon, where the top boys used to race and hang out, I know the site is still there, but I heard its now a dog exercise yard :-\
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline priv

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:08 PM »
 :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

i like hearing tales like this,it's allways good just to fcuk off on the bike and remember the good times

priv

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 08:36 PM »
good story dude, hate to see all the tracks grown over :'( :'( :'(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Bored so went on a personal BMX history trip.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx