gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 02:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Advice on Araya 1.5s
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Advice on Araya 1.5s  (Read 1172 times)

AJWD

Advice on Araya 1.5s
« on: November 11, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Hi Gents.
New to the site, which has reignited my decision to go to my parents and get my old MRD Pro out of the garage after nearly 18 odd years.

I had some Araya 1.5s to race on, and UKAI 1.75s to crash around the streets on. If I'm just going to be riding it about can I put the 1.5s back on, or will they buckle under my 14 1/2 stone frame!?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. One other thing, can anybody give me advice on OG flight cranks ie: where can I get them from, and any tips at all?

Cheers arr kids from windy Brighton.
Adey.

jon016847

Re: Advice on Araya 1.5s
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:07 PM »
I have araya Aero 1.5's on my daily rider   -    and before that I had DB Turbolite 1.5's which speciaifed a max weight limit of 120lbs !!

Both are cool for what I am doing, but its nothing heavy  - -  Just the off bunnyhop up a curb, etc,  I have not got seriously into riding, aftem my 20+ year break from racing, mainly into the collecting !!

FYI  I was 14st   - this time last year, when I was riding on the TL 1.5's  I swapped to the Arayas as I have put the TL's on a recent TL Project !!

Good news is have been dieting and this morning I was only 12 9lbs !!

Had to cut out the green though as I could not diet  when getting the munchies !!

Lots of original flights come up on ebay - usa,   make sure they do uk shipping,  if you are unsure about who the seller is you may want to check back here to see if anyone has delt with them, there are some dodgy people about, but usually the feedback tells a good story!!

Make sure you go for the wrap around single pinch crank if you want era correct, there are a few different styles out there, that at a glance look the same !!!

Re chroming is always an option if you want a good value set that have a new appearance, it ofen takes 6 - 12 weeks for items to come back from being re-chromed.

If you want a set that are ready re-chromed and from the UK,    vert-ego.com has them, you will get what is pictured and they will be very nicly chromed, so no hassell, however, you do have to pay more for that luxury.  I have a set from Biagio (vert ego) that are perfect, but they cost me more than if I imported and re-chromed,  the other danger is if the chromer does not know how to poilish correctly, they could polish out the welds removoing the original authentic look !!

Or try posting in the wanted section on this site, thats always a good place to bag a bargain !!

Hope this helps,,   

My advice, run the 1.5's and  eat some salad,  I feel great for it  -LOL !!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 02:33 PM by jon016847 »

AJWD

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 02:02 PM »
Cheers Jon.

Just given up the fags (again) so I have been eating more than usual. All the biking should help me lose a pund or two!

Thanks again,

Adrian.

jon016847

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 02:36 PM »
No probelm, if you need any more help just shout, I got back into BMX about 19 months ago, it was all a bit blury at first, and I purchased some things that I should not have, eg paid too much for stuff, but now i know, and when i dont i know who to ask !!

The knowlege soon all comes flooding back and I know more noe than i did BITD !  So many people have helped me and given me good advice, I am happy to do the same  !!

Jon W

mightymini

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 02:36 PM »
hi, ijust competed in the british nationals on 1.5 aero arayas, iam 17.5 stone ???

AJWD

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 05:13 PM »
Excellent. So they handled the jumps, and everything did they? I much preferred the 1.5s as my UKAI 1.75s have red rims, I actually don't know why I bought them. They do have Suzue sealed hubs so I may try and trade them for chrome 1.75s.

Thanks for the reply.

Adey.

mightymini

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 07:33 PM »
yeh there were no probs even wi the falls.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Advice on Araya 1.5s

gfxgfx
gfx gfx