gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975550 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 02:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  BRITISH BMX CHAMPIONSHIPS 2007
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BRITISH BMX CHAMPIONSHIPS 2007  (Read 2078 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
BRITISH BMX CHAMPIONSHIPS 2007
« on: August 27, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Well I doubt anyone missed the fact that The Brits invited the Old School riders to an invitational race. Talk about a top weekend. There was a few downers like 6 hours to get there, 1 lap of practice, 1 toilet working for a campsite holding 500 people. BUT, they were minor points that could never overshadow a weekend of pure radness.

I attended a few big races in the 1980s, but this race was the biggest I have been too. The race was run very smoothly with my first moto being number 70  :shocked:

The track was a scarey long and technical track, the only way to do well was jump, sadly too many of us OS still have trouble getting air, the fact that the track was mainly tarmac probably added to the reasons for not jumping :angel: . I loved the track, mainly because it was so hard and such a challange. I have never seen so many jumps squeezed into a track.

I have to say a big thanks to the 3 ex pro racers who entered the race, Jools, John and Craig, they were red hot in the motos and were firm favourites to take the final, but in the semis they pulled up before the finish line to let the mere mortals go through to the final, Three amazing racers who I hope will come out of retirement and race again. Oh John, thanks for reminding everyone about the Nickname and the school desk bike  :2funny: was good to meet up with you again after 25 years  :daumenhoch:

Me, Zippy and Craig Schofield got interviewed by the film crew working for Sky.

On the Saturday night we had a crazy time with a few beers being drunk, a few traffic cones being arranged on SE Marks van  >:D  :2funny: at 3am.

Have to say sorry to any campers we woke up as well....

A quality weekend, with amazing racing, amazing friends and an unforgettable day in my life. Thanks for inviting us.

Just a reminder, we raced to support the Stephen Murray fund, all our gate money went to the fund and we raised over £500, what with £550 from tee shirts i have sold on here and at MK, and RADS SE Raffle raising £1200 RADSTERS have added £2250 to the fund. No mean feat, well done everyone.

I took hundreds of pics, I will go through them this week and put a few up during the week  :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Little Bee

Re: BRITISH BMX CHAMPIONSHIPS 2007
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Was a fantastic weekend.

I've said it before, but I'm gonna say it again, well done to all the OS who raced, ya all did a bloody good job on what looked like a very scary track, I'm soo happy ya all made it round in one piece!! Hope ya not all aching too much today.

spillers#1

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Brilliant weekend  :daumenhoch:

that track was unreal....how hard....technical.....and f**kin huge high tarmac berms.

What a buzz though...people screaming all day....air horns all weekend.....11 year olds jumping massive doubles and manuelling everything........15 year old girls jumping doubles and manuelling.

Sat practice me and harve did a gate with 3 15+ girls and they smoked us outa the gate and down the straight  :idiot2:mental

mattbus

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:24 PM »
agreed, it was a fantastic day sunday( couldn't do sat :()
my son loved it and so did the mrs :shocked:.
well done to all invovled

BMXpert

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 12:51 PM »
What a great weekend.
So many good times. So many old faces.
You guys did great to get round that track, was kin hard work.
Cheers for the props Ratty (or is that animal ?)  ;D
Coming out of retirement for next year but stepping up to the plate for the Nu Skool Masters (30+).
Well done to everyone for surviving the track and raising all that cash  :daumenhoch:

nishiki14

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Appologies to everyone I moaned to about the track, I really disliked it :(
But what an amazing weekend, big respect to the new school lot who showed us a thing or two, thanks to everyone involved to make such an amazing event. :4_17_5:

KGB Matt

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 02:31 PM »
Appologies to everyone I moaned to about the track, I really disliked it :(
But what an amazing weekend, big respect to the new school lot who showed us a thing or two, thanks to everyone involved to make such an amazing event. :4_17_5:

I too disliked the track but as i rode it in each moto i grew a little more in confidance ( still not enough to go mental ) and got a little more used to some of the mountains.... sorry jumps.

Big respect to the nu skool guys for showing how the track should be ridden.

Just shows how the sport we all loved as kids has evolved and got more technical as the years have gone by.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:57 AM by KGB Matt »

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 03:58 PM »
It was indeed a good weekend and I apologise now for not having the bottle to do the races on Sunday.  I did two laps of practice and decided that at my age there were easier ways to die.  I didn't like the track one bit as it's built for the jumpers and I know I will be in the minority for saying that.  Anyway I left my entry fee in the pot (I was offered a refund but declined) and have kept my "56" raceplate as a memento - big props to Martin 'BrewUK' Baxter for producing the plates and thanks to RAD and Dialled for putting their names behind the OS races.  Well done to all who took part and contributed to the Stephen Murray Fund and wasn't it great that Stephen's father started the OS Final off, 

My James wasn't feeling too great on Sunday so I withdrew him from 14 Expert but he soldiered on in Cruiser 13-15 in which he moto'd 4,4 & 3 and took a podium 3rd in the Final.

'Chicken' Humps
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 04:33 PM by Humps00 »

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 04:50 PM »
well done you guys for riding it, wouldnt of minded having ago myself even though track looked scary

spillers#1

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 07:16 PM »
Big well done to james  :daumenhoch:  :4_17_5: the 2nd place lad is that the fast braintree boy?

I'll let you off humps for not racing.....i crashed in practice and can hardly walk today,my back is killing me  :'(
That was a muther of a track  :uglystupid2:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:31 PM »
is that the fast braintree boy?

Yes that was Braintree's Thomas Elvin in second to Lee Crowther (?) the guy who's emigrating to Oz soon.  Seeing the size of these other guys I reckon next years title will be James's as he'll be 15 then.  Humps

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 08:07 PM »
Got to say what a great day we had !

hats off to the OS racers for getting out there and having a go - I wish I had got myself together and entered the racing  :tickedoff:

Just like to say a big thankyou to the OS lot - I only met Tony (Ratty) briefly at MK howver when I got to Burnham he new my name and made me, Mrs Gashead and Lil Gashead very welcome, that thanks also goes to Nikki, Sam, BMX 796,Little Bee,Zippy and all the others  :daumenhoch: My lad has now got the BMX bug - He is now constantly on Rad, we have to fight to who is logged on .... He is now at his mums ( he's kind of 50/50 between us - all cool ) so he is able to get on with no arguments  :LolLolLolLol:

Can't wait to get up to 'Daggers' perhaps a few of us - Pickle Zed etc can make a date in the not to distant future !

Big up - you OS lot  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:   

Nick

TK The Mic

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 09:06 PM »
Well done to all you guys (and gals, sorry webdawg!)  out there at the weekend, Sunday saw some mental racing in all age groups. Old Skoolers , glad to see you all got round ok, and hope everyone got home safely.

Ratty, what you have done for Old Skoolers this year has been something else, and Sunday was the icing on the cake for what has been a great year!

Superb

TK the MIC

Frosty

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25 PM »
Well done all, can't wait to see the pics Ratty.

nishiki14

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 10:35 PM »
Well done to all you guys (and gals, sorry webdawg!)  out there at the weekend, Sunday saw some mental racing in all age groups. Old Skoolers , glad to see you all got round ok, and hope everyone got home safely.

Ratty, what you have done for Old Skoolers this year has been something else, and Sunday was the icing on the cake for what has been a great year!

Superb

TK the MIC
I'll second that fella :daumenhoch:
Hey don't forget you said you was gonna race against us on the 16th at Hersden if you could pick your machine :D

Pro-tec

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 10:39 PM »
Well done everyone. Looked a blinda!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 10:44 PM »
I read on BMXtalk that Tony Slater got beat in the 40+ Cruiser by a mountain bike, how does that work at a BMX race?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

dialledbikes

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 12:58 AM »
I read on BMXtalk that Tony Slater got beat in the 40+ Cruiser by a mountain bike, how does that work at a BMX race?

I felt for Tony as he got overtaken on the last berm.  He's a top bloke and deserved that title.

I know Dave Garland too from MTB 4X racing and he too is a nice bloke, but I don't see the logic in the BCF allowing MTBs to race at the premier BMX event of the year.  Fine if it was a regional which are basically grass roots events, but not at the British Champs where titles are decided.  I hope this is addressed for next season's Brits.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 07:48 AM »
Tony was so unlucky. It shouldn't be allowed.

spillers#1

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 08:13 AM »
you could see that down the finish straight dave garlands bike rode that section easier with suspension front forks than tony's cruiser  :-\

He still rocked though  :daumenhoch: i hope that i could ride as quick and as skillfull as tony(in my dreams)  :D

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 10:19 AM »
The top 8 riders names also appear on the British Cycling website - how good is that!!  Recognition.
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=7231&sID=6636

Humps

QuadPaul

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 01:36 PM »
What an amazing weekends racing :4_17_5: :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain: To me though what topped a great weekend was Stephen's Dad greeting us prior to the final and starting our race.

We where welcomed on board by the nu skool guys and there have been quite a few people that have included OS racing (well the money we raised at least) on there rocked section.

Plus praise from Kelvin Batey, how cool is that!!! (Boy is he an amazing rider

The track was super scary but we all done well to got round it and finish the day in 1 piece, with just a few bumps and bruises. :LolLolLolLol:

It was also quality racing the likes of Craig, John & Jools and as has been said before very good willed of them to leave the door open for us regular series riders to make the final. Nice one fellas :daumenhoch:

The camping Sat night was also a proper laugh and enjoyed the plenty of beers that were sunk, and the old stories that started to flow.

Good times for the OS series and long may they continue.
Massive thanks to Ratty, Unclebuck, Mrs G, Martin Baxter (#plates) and anyone else I've missed who helped make this event happen.

mongoose

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 03:28 PM »
What an amazing weekends racing :4_17_5: :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain: To me though what topped a great weekend was Stephen's Dad greeting us prior to the final and starting our race.

We where welcomed on board by the nu skool guys and there have been quite a few people that have included OS racing (well the money we raised at least) on there rocked section.

Plus praise from Kelvin Batey, how cool is that!!! (Boy is he an amazing rider

The track was super scary but we all done well to got round it and finish the day in 1 piece, with just a few bumps and bruises. :LolLolLolLol:

It was also quality racing the likes of Craig, John & Jools and as has been said before very good willed of them to leave the door open for us regular series riders to make the final. Nice one fellas :daumenhoch:

The camping Sat night was also a proper laugh and enjoyed the plenty of beers that were sunk, and the old stories that started to flow.

Good times for the OS series and long may they continue.
Massive thanks to Ratty, Unclebuck, Mrs G, Martin Baxter (#plates) and anyone else I've missed who helped make this event happen.

Some of us sketchy "nu skool" riders are still old skoolers at heart!!! It's was soooo much more like the BMX racing I remember as a kid... It was fantastic to be a part of it! :4_17_5:

dialledbikes

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Yes - a big thanks for all the people who organised the OS Race at the Brits (you know who you are).

As I've said many a time before, I hope BC see the potential in OS racing and it gets introduced at more races (but not to the extent where outside interference and politics takes the fun out of it or it becomes overly competitive).

I'm looking forward to rolling out the Assassin at future OS races when they don't clash with regionals and nationals, cos Sunday was a lot of fun.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  BRITISH BMX CHAMPIONSHIPS 2007

gfxgfx
gfx gfx