gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975549 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 11:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Little point that needs sorting out, help please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Little point that needs sorting out, help please  (Read 6771 times)

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Little point that needs sorting out, help please
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:02 PM »
After in cognitos post where he questioned the fact that I was awarded last place points at Hersden despite not actually racing. I would like some feedback as to what everyone thinks?

In the past we have awarded attendance points for people who broke down while on the way to a race, and have always awarded last place points to anyone who was injured and attended.

If need be we will make it a rule, depending on the results of this thread :daumenhoch:

Oh and if you feel I shouldnt have got the points from Sunday, please say so, be honest and if need be I will delete my points :daumenhoch:
A long time ago, in a land far away!

sonic-1

Re: Little point that needs sorting out, help please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 04:05 PM »
 :wtf: are we even debating this ????? last place points i feel

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:08 PM »
We have always awarded last place points to injured riders who attend the race, but it is a valid point as to why? Just want to make sure everyone is ok with the way we do it :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:15 PM »

Exactly.

I reckon last place points if they're injured or roll off the gate.

12 points/attendance in all other circumstances if they've registered and paid entry fee.

bmx-796

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:31 PM »
you turned up and paid your entrance fee, so i dont see what the problem is,  last place points seems fair to me, i think that in cog neato must be a wimp to hide behind a false name, come on show us who you realy are and stop hiding you pussy.

Deb

hooga1975

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Its fine by me, if you bother to turn up at a race but cant race because of an injury or break down en route you should get the points.  You are hardly going to win the series by getting last place each time are you

diamond dean

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:21 PM »

I reckon last place points if they're injured or roll off the gate.

12 points/attendance in all other circumstances if they've registered and paid entry fee.
[/quote]
Think this sounds right to me.

moley

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 07:39 PM »
I'll stick my nose in and give my opinion on a South Region Only Discussion.

I hope nobody takes offence and starts shouting at me!

If you've turned up with the intention of racing.

You've paid your race entry fee.

You're unable to race due to unforseen circumstances i.e.  Taken ill, Injured during practice, Bike snapped in two or bike failure, Family emergency etc, etc.

To withhold points due to a rider unable to race who made the effort and with the all the best intentions is just mean spirited.

The south region has its own Points System and can make its own ruling.    The North Region is subject to North Region BMX Rules/Points System and we'll have to abide by that (BTW, I haven't a clue what they are)

If I turned up to a meet and had a bike failure or got injured during practice, I'd be a bit peeved if I didn't get any points.

I'm not quite so sure about anyone who's car breaks down on the way to the meet though but if your there and have paid ya money then you should get points.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:50 PM »
If you make the effort and turn up and pay then I dont see a problem, if you dont make it for what ever reason, bit of a grey area, but I'd say EUROVISION STYLE "NIL POINTS"

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Okay, so all the people who actually race are agreed - You turn up and register = you are entitled to score points.  Now, back to Ratty's original question -

Where are all the oldschool riders hiding?   ???

moley

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Where are all the oldschool riders hiding?   ???

I don't think you can take 1 race (North) or 2 races (South) as a major slump.

The South has quite a few races close to each other which might make riders pick and choose their races plus holidays and family commitments etc, etc.

The North had Crewe which was a fair distance and was a scary track.

Hopefully its just a blip!!!

Hartlepool should have a far better attendance.

And the National at Hartlepool will drag you down Kenny and the rest of your crew, so it should be well supported.

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Well Kenny S and I were planning on coming down to take the Payback cash (assuming I didn't self destruct again!)   But my thumb is now in a splint for 6 weeks so the cash is yours for the taking Moley  ;)  Rather gutted I'll miss Hartlepool but just trying to get it healed in time for MK.

moley

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23 PM »
It would take an act of God fo me to pick any prize money up!!

Thanks Kenny for the ego boost though!!!  :daumenhoch:

Get yourself down anyway Kenny.   It should be a good night!!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 08:43 PM »
i've never raced in any of the series races so who am i to say.......but it does seem strange to the outsider to get points for not even racing?  but i'm not saying yes or no or having a go at anyone!   :daumenhoch:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Impetuous as ever I hit the "no points" button before reading your post Tony.  I took the survey as it read and thought it referred to riders entering an event but not attending, ie. getting someone else to register them albeit they had no intention of attending.  We had that situation in the South Region and decided it was not right to do such a thing as riders were 'buying' themselves their British Championship qualification.  Different story if you've turned up, paid your entry fee and then felt unwell or similar.  After reading the post I'm opting for last place points.  Humps

Rooonga

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Like I said on the other thread a last place point seems fair, but it can so easily be abused.

Imagine you have a race and there's only 5 riders - your guaranteed a 6th place, for not even getting to the start gate. Whereas if you go to a race with a mssive turnout you could end up with far less points - even though you may have knocked your bo!!ocks out trying.

Maybe use british cycling rules as they are universal - you gotta roll off the gate to score a point in each race, and then place lowest points. Pretty sure if you don't start you don't get any points at all.

However - I actually like the minimum points idea here - didn't think of it before, but will deffo stop anyone building up their points just because there's not many people at a certain race. (Kinda levels the playing field a bit - stops anyone getting a bonus for clever picking of the races they attend - not that I am saying Tony does this - he doesn't miss a bloody race all year!)

That's got my vote now I've had a look at the options. - Not that it'll make any difference to me in the event. I'll be lucky to get 3 rounds in by the end of the season, so won't be enough to qualify for anything.

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I think minimum points would be the farest system personally, that way the attendance is not going to affect the points awarded.

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 09:48 PM »
- Not that it'll make any difference to me in the event. I'll be lucky to get 3 rounds in by the end of the season, so won't be enough to qualify for anything.

You have already qualified Al, the riders have given you a by on all rounds. So we shall see you at Peterborough for the Brits, God willing :daumenhoch:

eloopnai

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 09:51 PM »
gotta agree with zippy minimum points seems a fair deal  :daumenhoch:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 10:29 PM »
Burn the score sheets and do an endo on the tabletop   :P

moley

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 07:50 AM »
 ???

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 08:40 AM »
Id say that you have to race to get points.

if your not on the track, you cant be last........to have eaten the last pie, you have to have actually eaten one....

It may be unfortunate that you broke down etc, but that deserves commiserations and a beer at the pub afterwards, not points.

ratty's a decent rider, thers no reason he should need points really.

Just my opinion.
I want to touch ORB

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Fair comment Phil, its been customary to award points to OSS guys who have been in this situation before. Its strange that despite us doing this for the last year, it became a problem when I got the points. I will be out of action for at least a month, maybe more. One of the biggest things in my life outside of the family is my racing, and tbh I am gutted that people feel I have cheated. I will PM Moley and remove the points from the table.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 08:52 AM »
My comment was in no way pointed at you tony, and i certainly wasnt implying that you have cheated, it was only as an opinion on the subject.

I wouldnt feel victimised if i were you, for the question to arise it had to be associated with one rider or another having had the points awarded without racing, and its a relevant question.

I think you were right to run the poll, so as to see peoples thoughts, and set a precedent.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 08:55 AM by oberonspacefruit »
I want to touch ORB

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 08:55 AM »
I appreciate that Phil, but I wont have people accuse me of cheating, the points will be removed, and we will make a decision regarding other riders points when the poll finishes.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  Little point that needs sorting out, help please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx