gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 06, 2024, 03:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  100% rider owned companies
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 100% rider owned companies  (Read 5350 times)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
100% rider owned companies
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:59 PM »
after finding out the other day that snafu and primo are part owned by taiwanese businessmen how many other companies are 100% rider owned and would you build a bike using 100% rider owned company parts?

ill start

1.s&m
2.standard
3.hoffman

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: 100% rider owned companies
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:20 PM »
 Dialled Bikes

lodge

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Not 100% but fairly sure:

Properbikeco
United
Deluxe
Bicycleunion
BSD
Flybikes

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:15 PM »
i thought proper were backed by someone so not 100% rider owned? anyone know for sure

JT71

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Trev would know.....I do miss Trev!  :'(

dialledbikes

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Dialled Bikes

Though the owner isn't much of a rider  :LolLolLolLol:

evamedia

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Will Smyth doesn't ride, does that count out United?

Mark Noble doesn't ride trails, does that count out Deluxe?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:31 PM by evamedia »

dialledbikes

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 04:53 PM »

Both were very good riders in their day and have contributed loads to BMX in other ways, so I reckon they should still be included.

JT71

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 04:56 PM »

Both were very good riders in their day and have contributed loads to BMX in other ways, so I reckon they should still be included.

agreed, not sure they need to be tail whipping now to count as riders, they were riders and are now contributing in other ways.

lodge

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 05:05 PM »
Can of worms,  quote out of this months ride "a 40 year old who used to ride, thats not rider owned" I think the companys orlando is reffering to are owned by riders who still ride occasionally but certainly not to the extent they did when they were 20 which is obvious if they are running a bike company.

JT71

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 05:17 PM »
yeah but if the said company flowed em a load of frames or spent £1000s on advertising all those f***ers at Ride would be be going

"oh the best rider owned company ever, we love them, let's kiss their pretty arses"  :LolLolLolLol:

if Hoffmann never got on a bike again would anyone really be against it being called "rider owned?"

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 05:19 PM »
ok to clarify a 100% rider owned company must be soley owned by a person who still rides today or started their company when they did ride and still own 100% of it today

ie are not financially backed or tied to any businessmen or people (apart from the bank) who are not riders or ex riders

or list what compaines you do know that are not 100% rider/ex rider owned which have backing/ money from non riders ie like snafu and primo etc...

reason im asking this because im building a new bike and what to know who exactly my money is going too

ive already f**ked up as ive bought primo rims :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:22 PM by kev s »

lodge

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 05:23 PM »
Does the rider/ex rider have to be able to do certain tricks to qualify  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline BrianP

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 06:40 PM »
What about FBM?

Brian   :daumenhoch:

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00 PM »
What if the rider/ex-rider is also a businessman (I guess they/we must all be businessmen as we are in business)?

firebird4130

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 07:29 PM »
personaly I don't care what hobbies the owner of a bike company who's products I choose to ride has or has had. I find it hard to believe ex or current riders who own bike companies have anything to do with how they turn out anyway. They're just putting their name to a product to instill buyer confidence. Even if a bmxer actually mined the iron ore smelted it in a furnace, produced the tubing etc, what would make it any better than a taiwanese bike?

magna13

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 07:40 PM »
MirraCo :daumenhoch:

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 07:44 PM »
I'd be very surprised if Hoffman is 100% rider owned at this stage in it's life. It's far too big to be all hoffmans. And it's full title 'hoffman bike corp' would suggest there is a board of fat cats that even Hoffman himself has to keep happy with sales figures!

I think alone bikes might be under sole control of it's owner!

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 08:29 PM »
What if the rider/ex-rider is also a businessman (I guess they/we must all be businessmen as we are in business)?

all riders/ex riders who run there bmx company are businessmen obviously, what im saying is what bmx companies also have people/investors who recieve financial gain from said company but have no real intrest in the sport ie see it as a way to make some money

personaly I don't care what hobbies the owner of a bike company who's products I choose to ride has or has had. I find it hard to believe ex or current riders who own bike companies have anything to do with how they turn out anyway. They're just putting their name to a product to instill buyer confidence. Even if a bmxer actually mined the iron ore smelted it in a furnace, produced the tubing etc, what would make it any better than a taiwanese bike?

of course riders/ex riders who own companies have everything to do with the way they turn out, s&m prob wouldnt be where it is today without moeller and the same for hoffman

Fitbikeco,  made in the S+M factory

doh how could i forget that :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

I'd be very surprised if Hoffman is 100% rider owned at this stage in it's life. It's far too big to be all hoffmans. And it's full title 'hoffman bike corp' would suggest there is a board of fat cats that even Hoffman himself has to keep happy with sales figures!

that could be well true hoffman is very big now

i just feel if a company is owned by someone who has been or is into the sport will have more intrest/care for its customers and products than companies who have to please and listen to people who are only intrested in the company profits

for example if s&m were part owned by some fat cats do you think you would ever of seen some of the s&m ads that have been banned from the mags over the years? they would have been rejected by the fat cats pretty much straight away

or would they sell you a replacement frame at a lower cost than retail as you have broken your frame of the same make but the breakage isnt covered by the warrenty?

all i wanna know is if im buying a part is my money going to someone who has a long term future within the sport who has taken part and ridden and cares about what happens to the sport

or to someone who is just wants a profit

lodge

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 09:05 PM »
Where's DSD this thread is right up his street.

firebird4130

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19 PM »
yeah perhaps in the past rider run companies were more in house/organic and individual, but nowdays it's all generic one frame the same as the next, how much input is really needed?

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 09:32 PM »
yoghurt

firebird4130

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 09:33 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:

dialledbikes

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 09:40 PM »

Didn't Mat pretty much divest all involvement in Hoffman Bikes and hand (maybe even sold) production/distribution over to one of his long standing mates/team riders (can't remember who it was at the moment)?

firebird4130

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 09:43 PM »
steve swope?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  100% rider owned companies

gfxgfx
gfx gfx