gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975499 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6343 Members - Latest Member: dan-dare March 28, 2024, 05:52 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.  (Read 19665 times)

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
Re: The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 08:08 PM »
The bars sold BTW. Paid for.

No worries dude, thanks for letting me know  fistblump
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 01:52 PM »
Parts in. Cranks are gorgeous.

Then went and spent as much on brakes as I had on the frame  :LolLolLolLol:

Two Demolition Vulcan. And a gyro.

Pegs are going to cost me ?28 each ffs. I will do that next week  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 03:03 PM »

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 04:33 PM »
Nice work there sir ! Well worth the effort I reckon  :daumenhoch:
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 08:07 PM »
From my museum post. I think it will be hours before I calm down.

Holy shit. Just. Holy shit  :(

I began lacing the wheel five hours ago. What a SERIOUS pain in the dick these wheels are to build :(

Firstly - the spokes. They are short, and a bastard to bend. Then, the orange nipples. They are longer than the ones supplied with the spokes, and a good 2mm of them is not threaded. So I am doing them up 2-3 turns and then as I work on the wheel they franking fall off. I then go back trying to put the spokes back, get confused and have to bail and start all over again. FIVE TIMES. Then just as I am getting somewhere someone starts bothering me on Facebook. I forget where I am at, can't figure it out, have to rip it all out again.

You know it's funny. I remember years ago when I worked at the BMX shop. A customer bought in some fat ass rims like that and my boss refused to build them.

Now I know why  :angrysoapbox:

Was it worth it? oh yeah, but dear god that must be pro level shit right there and I was dumb to have taken it on as my second lace ever.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2021, 08:08 PM »
Ordered two of these in steel for the front. They need machining out to fit.

35 quid. So why didn't I buy what I want for the rear? well, because they are 28 quid EACH. lol. I will get those next week.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2021, 09:25 PM »
Finally the ball ache was over and I could play with my new toys.  "wantit"

We wait for the 32mm step bit  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2021, 11:18 PM »
Rear pegs ordered.

I have a hub sorted too. It's the front version of this. Same, but without the driver etc.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Right. Quick update. Am having some time at home to chill and re energise.

I have ordered the paint. "Jam"

Gold flake.

And clear.

Have also ordered primer.

Tack cloths.

And some proper work gloves. I am sick of cutting/burning myself when drilling or working with the power tools.

The orange was just a coincidence  :LolLolLolLol:

That should take care of the paint job, so I am now ordering small parts. Got some peg chain tensioners as I damaged the paint on the 2hip getting the wheel straight. Nothing bad, and only really under the pegs, but yeah.

I don't think there is much left to buy now. I need an upper gyro cable (silver with any luck) and a brake cable for the front brake (again, silver).

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2021, 09:57 PM »
I can't keep up with your builds/rebuilds/breakdowns! ;D

Anyway, I'm a bit late to the party for this one but I'm in! You know when you've been tango'd! :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2021, 10:36 PM »
Well my nearly two weeks off gives you a chance to catch up  :LolLolLolLol:

Will be back at it Friday.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2021, 01:31 PM »
Back over a day early. Spent an hour opening the parcels and throwing away packing.

Paint came.

Huge hub.

And the finished rear wheel. I did finish it, but I didn't get any pics before I left.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 02:51 PM »
I drilled the sprocket out yesterday. I also had a very bad accident  :LolLolLolLol:

I screwed the sprocket down with washers to a 3ft piece of 4x2. I then started drilling. Only, the drill malfunctioned. It happened before when I was taking paint off of the T1. However, I thought it was my error. It wasn't. I think the spring is gone in the "always on" button and somehow it activated. The drill bit jammed, nearly breaking my wrist. I let go thinking it would just drop, but the always on was active. It took off, smashing me in the toes (I thought three were broken, this morning I think it's just two) and then took off, smashed me in the stomach winding me before blowing up.

Called an ambulance, but instead they asked me about ten thousand questions, no ambulance. Nice to know that when you are lying on the ground winded and bleeding it turns into question time. Took a couple of very strong codeine, taped up my toes and went back to work. I think I can save the sprocket. It just needs some filing where the hole is slightly off centre. I fitted the seat.

And then did some work on the front end.

Now it doesn't look like I have done much, but I have. Firstly that is a completely custom made upper cable. Instead of a Y split it uses a double barrel with two cables in. Sadly it wasnt compatible with the lever. Thankfully I still have a working drill, and my Dremel. So I modded the lever too.

I then modded the way it works. You are supposed to just rest the double plate against your brake. However, I decided to use the lever adjuster through the plate. As I said, a lot of work for something you barely notice. The end result though is super clean.

I then had a big issue with the Demolition brakes. The way the brake is designed means it wants the cable on the right back side of the fork. Problem is...

My cable holster is on the left back side. Meaning I either don't use that and use a cable tie (eww) or I have to get creative again. Note there is now a barrel adjuster in there? that came from my spares. However, it would not fit because Demolition decided to use a custom shaped hole. So once again I was back on the power tools (drill and a file) to make that fit. However, it still doesn't end there. There is now at the moment no way to lock the cable in, as the other side is a barrel fitting. Meaning I need a round knarp.

Not what you expect on one of the most expensive brakes on the market.

Now today? dear god. The codeine has worn off and I feel like I have been hit by a truck. So I won't be doing anything today.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2021, 06:21 PM »
It is powder under the orange, so I was correct about that.

It's about 1mm thick, I shit you not.

Power strip does work, but I fookin ran out  :rant:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2021, 07:31 PM »
Filed the sprocket of death and destruction. It now fits.

So, that really only leaves the frame left on the list of suck.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2021, 09:52 PM »
So with custom paint, custom cranks, changing pedal bodies, drilling out sprockets to fit and brake mods (including custom cables and etc) you would think I would try and make some of this easier. Oh, and add custom built wheels and trying to source the spokes and front hub to that too. As the saying goes "If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough". I think I will have that as my epitaph ffs.

Now I originally bought two Gsport Van pegs. These are steel. They are also 10mm, and you can not get them in 14 any more. Meaning, I would either have to buy a proper cobalt bit and drill them (after what happened yesterday I would rather not, thx) or send them off to my mate to machine. Problem is then you add postal delays, extra cost for the back and forth etc.

I was kinda pissed at the 28 quid entry fee for the "Pleg 2.0". That said I've always been a huge fan of George French, and always will be. I used to get him to make me strange things in the 90s. Like solid seat posts for old bikes because they used to bend and snap etc. So, I wanted to use some Gsport parts at some point. Hence not minding the tax so much. What I did not envisage though was that "2.0" means something.

Yeah see I was confused too. WTF 28 quid and I get two pegs? only you don't. You get one full PLEG with the insert and a spare body. IE the plastic sleeve. Which kinda sucked, because I'd be lucky to slide down a water slide these days let alone a bloody rail. However, then it dawned on me. Instead of bothering my mate to pee around machining out the steel pegs (which look totally different) why not model the insert and get him to machine me two more? good thing is Email is free, and that means only one way shipping. Plus it means I can fire over the model and then get on with the shit ton of jobs I still have looming over me. So, remove insert.

Model.

Save file, send email, job done on my end. Phew.

I will use the steel ones on my Kizz. Which has 10mm female stud axles.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2021, 12:56 PM »

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2021, 03:34 AM »
Needed a headset. It came with one (alloy original Aheadset) but there were tell tale signs of thread locker in the steerer shims. What I mean is, the head tube is over sized. It has shims and on those shims I can clearly see blue loctite. This was the issue with alloy headsets on heavy frames. Before you know it they crush and that's all she wrote. Loctite doesn't fix it, it just delays the inevitable.

I won't lie I have absolutely done my bollocks on this build. Mostly because I sold some quite desirable PC gear I was hanging onto as spare, but didn't want it to flop and lose all value. I did it because I want it to be the one bike I never have to revisit or have a "what if" moment like I have with pretty much every bike I have. I was going to buy another of those lovely Tange Tank MX for 23 quid or so, but then remembered I had never proven that with a gyro. The fact it is called MX makes me worry size was not a consideration. As such I bought pretty much the best go to headset for gyros and external cups.

I also forgot to order rim strips. These cost me the same as any other, but are reinforced. So why not.

I don't really need anything else, but hey never say never.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2021, 03:38 AM »
Oh yeah and I'm fooked if I am smashing chrome off of the fork. I'm also not smashing in the races with a rubber hammer either, because the bearings for the cranks are large and the cups quite delicate.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Tools arrived. Was surprised how macho the crown race tool is.

Bought some of those. Fitted a rim tape to the finished wheel, still waiting for spokes. Stripper is coming tomorrow via Fedex, so as long as it doesn't piss down I should be able to get down to the metal. Which is good, because then I can start repairs.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2021, 04:06 PM »
Bah  :LolLolLolLol:

This was really cool. Never bought folding tyres before.

There's an issue. See if you can spot it.

Yup, the pump head doesn't fit. So I can't inflate them  :LolLolLolLol:

They do, however, look just as ridiculous as I had hoped.

More bloody money  :LolLolLolLol:

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Yo baby can I get another lap dance?

Joy of all joys.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2021, 04:53 PM »
Right, just dressed the frame. Removed all of the rust from the races, frame etc. Did a lot of filing with the belt file, sorted the drops (bad cutting by the machine) and etc.

Have put some JB on. Hopefully it's enough, due to the at least 24 hour hardening time. That said the spokes *should* be here tomorrow for the front wheel, so I can get on with that whilst the (possible) second application dries.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2021, 05:06 PM »
BTW this is what I mean by dress the frame. Whatever cut the drops (lazer? plasma? IDK) didn't do a very nice job. No one even bothered to file them or anything either.

I thought it was just damage but it's not. It's simply where no one cleaned them up after they were cut, and just welded them straight on. I will show it cleaned up later.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2021, 05:36 PM »

Dressing done, no rust. Just a light sanding needed now (well after I file down all of the filler lol)

I also want to give a shout out to the frame for being the most annoying frame EVER to work on. It won't sit fooking still  :LolLolLolLol: Only just had this idea FFS.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  The orange tank. Morales BTS MK2.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx