gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 11:49 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BITD BMX SHOPS..
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BITD BMX SHOPS..  (Read 6260 times)

deeman

BITD BMX SHOPS..
« on: February 05, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Can anyone remember where they used to get their bike bits from back in the day?were you lucky enough to have a local bike shop that was on the pulse at the time?or, like me did you have to mail order or beg your dad to travel?I remember getting alot of bits from mud machine/m-zone,managed to get my dad to travel to somewhere in oxfordshire to a shop called ACE BMX who i got my dia-compe FS880/901 brakeset with tech V's when they first came out,and got my SUNTOUR XC II's there!I think i may have got my white haro tyres when they first came out from HOT WHEELS mail order!my memory fails me with everything else!!can remember sending off lots of postal orders :LolLolLolLol:Who always had the latest stuff?who was good to deal with and who bad?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:40 PM by deeman »

Offline stu27

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: BITD BMX SHOPS..
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 09:43 PM »
not that me parents could afford anything frome these bike shops
stechford cycles,components downstairs and complete builds upstairs,there was always a rake of landing gear forks hanging up behind the counter
not far from birmingham wheels,TRM freestyler,was distributed from there also,158 station road :smitten:

shirley pro am,only a handfull of times to that one :daumenhoch:
negativity is for chumps,positivity is for champs

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 09:46 PM »
Can anyone remember where they used to get their bike bits from back in the day?were you lucky enough to have a local bike shop that was on the pulse at the time?or, like me did you have to mail order or beg your dad to travel?I remember getting alot of bits from mud machine/m-zone,managed to get my dad to travel to somewhere in oxfordshire to a shop called ACE BMX who i got my dia-compe FS880/901 brakeset with tech V's when they first came out,and got my SUNTOUR XC II's there!I think i may have got my white haro tyres when they first came out from HOT WHEELS mail order!my memory fails me with everything else!!can remember sending off lots of postal orders :LolLolLolLol:Who always had the latest stuff?who was good to deal with and who bad?

Ace BMX...that was in Henley where i live.

deeman

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 09:52 PM »
not that me parents could afford anything frome these bike shops
stechford cycles,components downstairs and complete builds upstairs,there was always a rake of landing gear forks hanging up behind the counter
not far from birmingham wheels,TRM freestyler,was distributed from there also,158 station road :smitten:

shirley pro am,only a handfull of times to that one :daumenhoch:

stetchford cycles...the name rings a bell for some reason! :idiot2:

Al Wyn

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 09:54 PM »
Used to spend an hour looking at and buying stuff from Surrey Cycles in Chertsey...80 mile round trip...almost a monthly trip...thanks Dad :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 09:57 PM »
for me it was Dronfield Cycles or J E James in Chesterfield if I needed some stuff for my race bike  :smitten:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

tcracing

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 10:03 PM »
cobra sports or pro line bradford

retrodarren81

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 10:05 PM »
superbikes  in ilford.  was the best shop about  :)

deeman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 10:08 PM »
i nearly forgot FAZE 7,managed to get one or 2 trips there.once for bike stuff,cant remember what,the second for my first skate deck!used to love the FAZE 7 rub on decals where you could remove the middle of the lettering...or not!

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Wheelways in Grimsby, owned by a bloke called Geoff Baraclough, wrote the odd BMX book too.
Was the sole GT importer for the UK bitd.
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Cycleworld in Halifax,3 mile bus ride,they had loadsa good stuff :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Custom riders when it was at 19 nightingale road in Hitchin. It was run by mason smiths mum and dad.
It's now a much much bigger outfit on jubilee way in letchworth now run by mason himself. Well worth a visit!  :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:29 PM »
Custom riders when it was at 19 nightingale road in Hitchin. It was run by mason smiths mum and dad.
It's now a much much bigger outfit on jubilee way in letchworth by mason himself. Well worth a visit!  :daumenhoch:

I didnt discover CUSTOM RIDERS til my skateboarding days!used to stop on way to Stevanage Bow Lyons skatepark,you could rent skate vids for a quid and bring them back the next week! :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:30 PM »
The BMX Pit in the Harris arcade,in Reading,Hotshot BMX in Kidlington,got my Pro Racer from Faze 7.

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 10:35 PM »
Edwardes, Youngs or Alpine sports / Alpine Action were my favorite hang-outs,

you would have found me in one of those pretty much every saturday spending my pocket money :daumenhoch:

If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 10:56 PM »
K.D. Racing or M.K. Cycles  (Bolton BMX Centre)  both locally ,,BMX specific shops  8)

I bought my GT Nora ,Tuffs from Surrey BMX cycles  :smitten:

Got my DX and some bits from Sale Cycles warehouse  :)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Surrey skates /Surrey cycles

and Guildford ~ Pedal pushers
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 12:08 AM »
 :) Alpine Action,Faze 7,Custom Riders.A few in North London-Shorter -Rochford in Finchley and Rainbow Racing in Wood Green.Bought a Rebel race frame from Halfords in Watford High Street that had Rebel freestyle (Haro-alikes) forks coz they couldn`t find the race versions.

deeman

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 12:14 AM »
:) Alpine Action,Faze 7,Custom Riders.A few in North London-Shorter -Rochford in Finchley and Rainbow Racing in Wood Green.Bought a Rebel race frame from Halfords in Watford High Street that had Rebel freestyle (Haro-alikes) forks coz they couldn`t find the race versions.

:LolLolLolLol:if i remember correctly,it was at the top of town where all the bars are now next door to BEATTIES model shop?!

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 12:38 AM »
Any BITD pics of the Rebel James?

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 12:49 AM »
Claude Crimes (Raleigh Dealer) in Queensferry - Now Ironically a New School/Scooter shop,
Top Gear Cycles in Shotton - Now Deeside Cycles
Davies Brothers in Chester, the best place to buy all the new dayglo and lavender stuff in '85, ie Sharp BB boots - Now La Tasca.

:'(

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

nosepickben

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19 AM »
AB Wheels on london road in sheffield, them & langsett cycles. Langsetts still exist in some capacity, AB went in the late 80's. They gave me a diamond back scarf free with some parts i bought in about 1986. I think harrisons camera shop is where they used to be now.

Offline Gtbill

• Cherry Picker
  • To fast to go slow
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Ashton bmx phil had his own team and they use to do demos  rad member JJ was on the team with my mate Tony Yates
 :daumenhoch:
Gtbill for all your watch and Jewellery needs

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 07:21 AM »

:smitten: loved that place , all the brakes n grips on show in a big glass cabinet , did nt know where to look next in there  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline region11

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 07:51 AM »
OT Cycles, Edwards and Youngs  :)
Neil

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  BITD BMX SHOPS..

gfxgfx
gfx gfx