gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975571 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 20, 2024, 11:42 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  This resto's not one for the purist's....look away now!! (pic heavy)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: This resto's not one for the purist's....look away now!! (pic heavy)  (Read 14353 times)

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Evening all,

I'll keep this one short & let the pic's do the talking, bought a set of 'well used' red tuff's off a fellow radster :daumenhoch:(though he may not approve what i've done to them >:D). Then 2 wk's ago i won a NOS set of red tuff's with no hub's, so i basically cut out the old hub's on the bandsaw at work, then hacksawed through the rivet's, 1 pair of hub's were slightly dished in so i used a fly press to sort them out, next step to clean up the hub's & a good polishing.

Next step was to glue them in with aerospace  industrial strength adhesive & stand back & admire :coolsmiley:

Here's the pic's

These will be going onto my 3rd carpet queen that's been 18 month's in the making, it's a Haro Master(85) in 'dayglo' orange(courtesy of SBD ;)), just sorting out a few little finishing touch's to it & will post the complete pic's up in a couple of week's :smitten:

Thank's for looking chap's, hope i havn't offended too many of ya................Buz :daumenhoch:

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
brilliant work  :daumenhoch: i was a bit shocked on the first pics and thought  :wtf: and then saw later pics and got it, brilliant resto just hope the glue holds  ;D, look superb great resto work

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:

:4_17_5:   top job can't beat getting stuck into a challenge  :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
bit shocked as well but seeing what you did and how they turned out looks cool  :daumenhoch:

just do doing the same if you want a bit more length on the old fellow  ;D

now you got to think of some thing clever to do with the old sawn mags  :coolsmiley:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Why did you need to cut the hubs out?
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
 :shocked: I'm guessing you dont have any drill bits at work  ;)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

dp and Chopper Dude

Great job! I love alloy hubbed Tuff II's (contrary to what one of my previous posts said :-[ )
You did well to get the replacement wheels in such great condition.
 :daumenhoch:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
What an abomination. Why did you not buy a set of fooked black tuffs and chop them up?

I see no skill here, just a lack of patients. :idiot2:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
How much is the can of liquid NOS? That's got to be highly prized amongst collectors   ;)  ;D
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

ozone

Why did you need to cut the hubs out?

To save the original rivets.  If you replace a hub. the hardest thing to do is make the rivets look original - either that or use screws which looks crap.  I can see why he went this way but it was a shame to kill an old set of Tuffs.    :crazy2:

renegaderacer

Great job you've done there!  :daumenhoch:

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
Regardless of what you did to the first set, the end result looks superb so well done.
 :daumenhoch:

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
See'ing the first pic I said to myself ' fook fook fook!'

The end result is amazing and understand why you did it...

Can you use your industrial strength glue on putting the old tuffs back together?
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
R.I.P 25 Year old wheels  :'(

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
ok im lost  :-\  end result = perfect  :daumenhoch: BUT  why cut the original wheels ?, i take it uve used the original rivits so how did u get them out ? did u have to butcher the cut hubs even more ? surely the original rivits would have been hammered over at each end (thats how rivits  work) so how did u get them out to re use , persuming u did? and if u didnt why cut the original wheels up. ? like i said thow end result brilliant  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
by the looks of things he cut the rivet bolts in the centre of each length (thus leaving a part of the bolt on each hub flange.  they could then be removed and then slid back in making it look original.   To do this you would have to demolish the old wheel.

shame though as with some work those old red tuffs could've been brought back to life  :-\

Oh and the flanges weren't polished either  :daumenhoch:

snav69

:-\

Are these now going to be passed off as NOS 80's Skyways  ???

::)

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
So what was wrong with the OG set then ?  Was it not worth cleaning them first ?
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Hindsight...  Wouldn't it of been better to cut up the aluminium flanges then cut out the rivits the same way?  then just wait for some nos flanges to come on eBay or here....

Tis a shame them skyways have lived 30 years intact, only to be distroyed in seconds....  :'(
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

sid1972

2 sets that could have been used = 1 set (that are nice) but cannot be used   :-\

or can they be ridden on?

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
What is the fascination with wanting to chop up Skyways at the moment?  :tickedoff:

From having two sets of wheels that could be saved/ridden, we now have one set that definitely can't and one that possibly can't.

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Thank's guy's for all the comments, good & bad ;)
I bought the used set with every intention of restoring them, it did state in the "for sale" thread that one had a slight crack but not that one of the hub's was caved in slightly. Then the nos one's came up on the bay so i had a plan >:D It's not that i was being impatient, as i have been trying to get hold of  some alloy hubbed tuff's in red for over a yr.  A minty set of used red one's went for about £255 on the bay last wk, these worked out much less doing this way.  I realised i was never gonna please every one going down this route, but need's must. I see this as enjoying a hobby that take's me back to some happy day's during my teenage yr's & am now getting the bike's i could only dream about  :smitten:

Buz :daumenhoch:

antiquebmx

good job but just wondered what this has cost you all together including time ??

must be close to the £255 ?

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
so would that glue hold them if ever ridden ?.
just thinking down the line if you ever sold em and some poor fooker took em out for a spin  :crazy2:
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
R.I.P 25 Year old wheels  :'(

:yahoo_silent:   :'(

You could/should have just drilled out the old rivets, gone to a metal merchants who would have supplied you with some metal rods, given them to the man Sawzell who would have replaced your rivets to near perfection.

Like whats been said, why chop up a RED set?? Black we could live with as they are everywhere, but RED  :crazy2:

Oh well.....another set bites the dust  :(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:50 AM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  This resto's not one for the purist's....look away now!! (pic heavy)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx