gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975547 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 08, 2024, 03:00 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  MRD Musings
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: MRD Musings  (Read 9338 times)

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
MRD Musings
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:27 AM »
With a few days off work and some spare time on my hands this week, I listened to Dale Holmes’ 3-hour podcast interview with Tim March. If you haven’t already listened to it, it’s well worth the effort:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,187764.0.html

One of the many interesting things on there was TM talking about the start of MRD. Ever since they first came out in 1984, I’ve wanted an MRD frame and TM confirming that the inspiration for the frame design was a JMC and an early Patterson, both iconic frames in their own right, only heightened that desire and led to a couple of hours looking at various examples online! :D Then, on the way back from the hairdressers yesterday I spotted this:-

It’s a sign I tell you. ;D So even though I’ve got the Motobecane build on the go and another 3 waiting in the wings, I now find myself really wanting an MRD race frame!! My question is, how often do these come up and are they “reasonably” priced? I suspect the answer to both questions will put this idea quickly to bed but I just want to get a handle on this before I lose the plot.
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: MRD Musings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Steve (animal) is the man to ask as he is Mr.MRD. I am sure he will be along shortly to pass comment on this.

I haven't been able to listen to this myself yet but will do in a few weeks when I return home from work.

I do have some pictures of the early MARCH RACING frame - Birmingham WHEELS supplied Tim with two off-the-shelf Pro frames which were stickered up as the first March prototypes. Both still exist today, but having spoken to Tim about them they are most definitely not up for sale.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Funking in your space since 1984.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 11:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing that! :daumenhoch: Yeah, he mentions that BW made the first few frames, I think 3 of them. I'd be more than happy with one of the actual production frames. ;)
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:29 PM »
To be honest they are really nice to ride. I won't go on about Badlander here but I owned a minty fresh chrome Expert I got off Del yonks hack and it was my Radchester steed all blind up with Pro Class and DC niceness. Rode a treat and was way more roomy than the tt length suggested. Sold it to Daz Kapp who seemed to collect most of them so might be worth trying to contact him to see what he still has?

You may find a couple of Experts out there but Steve Animal has all the Pro frames plus a monster big one made for Tim himself. Apparently the Pro frames had an issue with headtube welds failing or something so not many survived. 

The bad news is they fetch strong money if they surface i'm afraid so that may help scratch that itch  :-\
Still limping......

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 08:07 PM »
Tims in the process of making some new school frames as well, might be a good alternative.
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 09:03 PM »
I had the XL Pro that was made for Tim,I found it in the local free ads in the late 90s before the oldschool thing got popular.
I had it built up with a mix of old and new parts ,then traded it with ANIMAL for a Badlander,I actually didn't have a clue it was a team frame,I just thought it was a Pro.
I also scored a complete Pro with MRD Pro bars and seatpost which an old mate from school had,he had it in his shed for years.
I sold that one to Steve as well and he paid big for it.
Lovely bikes but they don't come up all that often.
There was an expert on ebay with the later decals on a couple of weeks back.
I live in Poole where Tim is from and they were very popular around here back then,I had at least 5 mates with MRDs.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I didn't think these would be easy to pick up now.

Out of curiosity, any idea how much it went for?

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I didn't think these would be easy to pick up now.

Out of curiosity, any idea how much it went for?

No idea sorry,for some reason I didn't put it in the watch list,which normally I would for something like that...

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 12:42 PM »
No idea sorry,for some reason I didn't put it in the watch list,which normally I would for something like that...

No worries mate! Thanks for the heads up anyway. :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 02:04 PM »
Tims in the process of making some new school frames as well, might be a good alternative.

Blimey i'd forgotten that - he put a thread up on here years ago about that because I remember asking him to build me one :2funny:

If he takes any longer the people who remember MRD will be too old to ride anymore unfortunately so he'll be chasing a new audience so to speak ...... :-\
Still limping......

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 12:04 AM »

Blimey i'd forgotten that - he put a thread up on here years ago about that because I remember asking him to build me one :2funny:

If he takes any longer the people who remember MRD will be too old to ride anymore unfortunately so he'll be chasing a new audience so to speak ...... :-\

If you check the MRD Facebook page,the last update was July 14th,and some drawings of the frames are on there,so it's still ongoing !!

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 12:08 AM »
Tim has actually posted on Fb today that his two recent prototype frames are up for sale (20 and 24inch) - both having been brazed by Mr. Curtis.

He is also currently working on a frame for me so his venture is still very much ongoing....

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 12:10 AM »
From today....

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2016, 02:48 PM »
Hmmm the 24 looks tempting....

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Tim has actually posted on Fb today that his two recent prototype frames are up for sale (20 and 24inch) - both having been brazed by Mr. Curtis.

He is also currently working on a frame for me so his venture is still very much ongoing....

Any update on the new MRD frames?

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 12:15 AM »

Any update on the new MRD frames?

Might be worth contacting Tim directly. I did so via facebook following the first podcast with Dale Holmes. He replied within minutes. Thanks Tim  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 07:30 AM »
I don't do FB but am on eBay, so may send him a message on there in the light of Ant's recent dealings:-

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,189187.0.html

:daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I got mentioned on the second podcast and I bought a NOS brakeguard guard of him on EBay ( which he confirmed ) .. He never accepted my friend request though ? Guess he knew trouble when he saw it coming!  :2gunsfiring_v1: :LolLolLolLol:

I loved the podcasts and thought Tim was thoroughly educational, informative and entertaining ..., I like his new school project and the fact he's against repoping his own stuff and cashing in  :daumenhoch:

I'd love a frameset too but it's looking like Hen's teeth for us plebs ... Now if only Steve Animal was to unfortunately fall apon hard times ?...... ::)

:LolLolLolLol: :D :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:38 AM by factory pilot »
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 06:36 PM »
I got mentioned on the second podcast and I bought a NOS brakeguard guard of him on EBay ( which he confirmed ) .. He never accepted my friend request though ? Guess he knew trouble when he saw it coming!  :2gunsfiring_v1: :LolLolLolLol:

I loved the podcasts and thought Tim was thoroughly educational, informative and entertaining ..., I like his new school project and the fact he's against repoping his own stuff and cashing in  :daumenhoch:

I'd love a frameset too but it's looking like Hen's teeth for us plebs ... Now if only Steve Animal was to unfortunately fall apon hard times ?...... ::)

:LolLolLolLol: :D :LolLolLolLol:

Can't see that happening  fistblump

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 07:42 PM »
Bang goes my RGD rotor then  :LolLolLolLol:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 03:16 PM »
Have just seen that there's an expert currently for sale on the bay! If I wasn't looking for a new school racer, I'd be all over it, though I reckon it'll fetch strong money!! :popcorn:

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 01:10 PM »
So I see that it finally went for £310, which I didn't feel was too bad for a complete survivor! Did a Radster snag it?

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22 PM »
So I see that it finally went for £310, which I didn't feel was too bad for a complete survivor! Did a Radster snag it?

I'll get my coat  ::)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 09:36 PM »

:knuppel2: :knuppel2: :knuppel2: :LolLolLolLol:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 10:17 PM »

Bloodyhell man, not another!! Seriously, glad you got it - couldn't have gone to a better home! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  MRD Musings

gfxgfx
gfx gfx