gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 04:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  A cracking night
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A cracking night  (Read 23450 times)

Bettyswallocks

A cracking night
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Not mine one of the locals at interact did this tonight, only had it a month...

Look close... oops...  :(

Hard to see in the pic but the crack goes right into the weld... do they/dont they break?... thats the first one ive seen

Apologies for the cack phone pics...  :(

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:38 PM by Bettyswallocks »

bof

Re: A cracking night
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:38 PM »
Mark have you been tonight  :knuppel2:

And I hope he sent his warranty card in , because if he didnt then no guarantee.

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:41 PM »
Yeah dude, was gonna pm you but you werent online, was a last minute decesion to go.... sorry dude...  :-[

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:10 AM »
Whens it shutting for good mark, I heard January as the landlord now has a buyer  ???
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

lodge

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Oh dear, was surprised that these frames have been so popular when no one actually knew if they were up to it but i think peeps looked at the weight and nothing else.

I recognise that bike and the rider is just a small kid who rides pretty smooth.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:25 AM »
perhaps they need to redesign the front gussett like on the sunday
as that comes down further onto the headtube less stress there then

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:36 AM »
all the sub 4LB frames will have issues at somepoint  if ridden well
even seen a fit aitken loose its complete headstock ,its gonna happen.
talking to a few lads at a local shop  ..good riders  and they said they rode to hard to buy a uk frame
so at least they aint buying just for the weight thing they know they are mental.
one did buy one for a mini ramp /low vert ride and no issues.
and im pleased to punch with mine.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 10:47 AM »
also saying that dan cressey as broke two headstocks of fbm's
and they tuff as old boots lol .depends if they was doin disasters as thats alot of stress on the head tube

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 01:07 PM »
Whens it shutting for good mark, I heard January as the landlord now has a buyer  ???

Nowt deffo yet but i've also heard the end of January, they're just waiting for planning permission to change its use...  :(

Oh dear, was surprised that these frames have been so popular when no one actually knew if they were up to it but i think peeps looked at the weight and nothing else.

I recognise that bike and the rider is just a small kid who rides pretty smooth.

Right bike dude...  :daumenhoch:

He's 15 and about 6 stone wet through... including the bike... lol

Doesnt know how it broke happened to notice when he had the bike upside down...  :-\

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 01:27 PM »
what make is it?

Unknown Revolution

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:13 PM »
If it was any other make, would any one be that bothered...  don't think so ::)

Big deal, bikes break...
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

teamsano

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 02:48 PM »

Big deal, bikes break...

what a terrible comment.

its ok now we're all working adults who can afford the parts we want to run. but what if this kid got this frame for a birthday gift or worked a paper run for 12 months to buy it?

not everyone can fork out cash for a new frame 'just like that', and more importantly, what if it snapped whilst riding and the poor kid got seriously injured? would you be happy for a child of yours to be riding it?

JT71

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 02:50 PM »

Big deal, bikes break...

what a terrible comment.

its ok now we're all working adults who can afford the parts we want to run. but what if this kid got this frame for a birthday gift or worked a paper run for 12 months to buy it?

not everyone can fork out cash for a new frame 'just like that', and more importantly, what if it snapped whilst riding and the poor kid got seriously injured? would you be happy for a child of yours to be riding it?

they have a lifetime warranty so he'll get a new one.  :daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 02:53 PM »
yeah awesome, and how long will the new one last?

i'd be riding full of confidence thinking my new frame would only last a few weeks.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 03:40 PM »

Big deal, bikes break...

what a terrible comment.

they have a lifetime warranty so he'll get a new one.  :daumenhoch:

i think what he's getting at joe is some poor lad might get seriously injured from a frame snapping, any frame! getting a free frame won't compensate getting your face mashed up. then could you ever trust the replacement?! if there's a replacement left in the country to be given.

and the 'big deal', especially on here is because dibly is a member on here so most have followed the work closely, if a marketing strategy is based on weight, then when things go wrong there's going to be repercussions and criticism. he's heading in the right direction though strengthening the frames, i think maybe more testing should have been done before releasing frames to the public so quickly and cosequently that may put some poor lads life at risk!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 04:27 PM »
Always going to be a contentious issue, this one.  Firm pops up out of nowhere, claims allsorts, and then actually goes on to release stuff for sale, where so many firms in the past have barely got past a sticker and a t shirt...

Personally, I'm not a fan.

But that might just be because I'm a cynical old bastard.  Give or take a few ounces, I think frames need to be 5lb.  My soon to be new bike (a LTF) weighs in a little under 5lb, but I'm prepared to take the risk riding it because a) I trust the brand, b) I hear good things about them, c) I'm not that burly a rider.

Time will tell...

In the meantime, my gut feeling is that these Unknown bikes will evolve and develope and end up around 4.5 lbs and fairly reliable. Assuming the firm lasts that long.

For the record,  Paul Meacher is so smooth I'm not surprised in the slightest that he's getting on with his bike.

Offline Philbert

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 04:35 PM »
For the record,  Paul Meacher is so smooth I'm not surprised in the slightest that he's getting on with his bike.

amen to that!  :daumenhoch:

lodge

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 04:55 PM »
One things for sure they have sold a lot of these frames, not sure if its the weight thing or not but it seems every kid at the skatepark wanted or was getting one.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Yeah, it's the weight thing.  Nothing else.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Yeah, it's the weight thing.  Nothing else.

Yes agree, thats the reason I got one  :-\

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 01:44 PM »

Big deal, bikes break...

Fair point... If it was any other make i prob wouldnt have took pics and posted them up, but theres been a lot of discussion on this and other forums about how strong these frames are gonna be being so light...  ::)

I'd be gutted if i bought one and it broke after a month...  :(

The shop that supplied it have a replacement in stock and will swap but the lads lost confidence and wants a differant brand frame

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 02:05 PM »

Big deal, bikes break...

Fair point... If it was any other make i prob wouldnt have took pics and posted them up, but theres been a lot of discussion on this and other forums about how strong these frames are gonna be being so light...  ::)

I'd be gutted if i bought one and it broke after a month...  :(

The shop that supplied it have a replacement in stock and will swap but the lads lost confidence and wants a differant brand frame

Mark do you fancy selling your Liam's then ???

£ 50 ????
subject to checking over of course  ::)

:LolLolLolLol:   ;)

I honestly wouldn't be concerned about these ,as its the first I've seen break

JT71

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I'm not a frame builder, but the crack is in the weld is it not?

so that might well not be related to the weight which is achieved I believe with the thinner specially heat treated tubes.
the tube hasn't broken or bent or cracked has it, it's the weld, i know that doesn't help the rider, but the issue might not lie with the light weightness and might just be one bad/weak weld.

so far the failure rate is no worse or better than any other frame, there's nothing to say if the kid had been riding a 5lb plus frame that the same crack might not have appeared.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Good point Joe it's not like its down to the strength or quality of tubes

I don't know  a lot about welding but is it possible to get a weak line of weld where it could be hollowish due to , too much gas being used  :-\

If I'm talking bollox , I'll shut the door behind me fellas  ;D

Lifetime warranty is a good reassurance of confidence really  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 03:16 PM by Hunterdubber »

moley

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 03:07 PM »
We make weld testers to test for corrosion!!

You get any 2 metals and weld them together and you could get problems.

The 2 metals are heated (Heat affected zone) which as you guess effects the metal.

The weld could have micro cracks and bubbles and all sorts of thing wrong with it to make it less strong than a normal weld.

Or the two parts of the frame weren't heated sufficiently to hold the weld (or too much to make it weaker)!!

Hopefully dibly will get the cracked frame and check it out!!

Then he can source the reason for the failure!!

It could just be a quality control issue and it slipped through the net!

or just down to plain old bad luck!!

If its welded by computer on an assembly line then you'd expect all the welds to be of similar quality.

If its welded by hand then the quality could vary a lot!!

Some welders are better than others and welding is a bit of an art form!! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  A cracking night

gfxgfx
gfx gfx