gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975534 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6346 Members - Latest Member: turbostarbars April 24, 2024, 11:42 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  PRO CLASS - Smoke/Black Chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: PRO CLASS - Smoke/Black Chrome  (Read 12587 times)

dj_benice

Re: PRO CLASS - Smoke/Black Chrome
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2006, 06:27 PM »
N1 fella your endeavours are much appreciated, am sure you will be getting shouted the odd pint for sorting this if it comes off, good researching that man!!  P.S.  If a bit of the old boys networking is required, my mates dad is no2 at the cotton workers guild (I believe they are no longer a functional guild but due to the nature of the guild ie cotton which was huge, they still have impressive functions n plenty of dolla dolla bills! )

Frosty

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42 PM »
good news, but does anyone know anyone who has got a smoked nickel trombone ;D

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Sadly no... the trombone was too big for the tank. He has a powdercoated Cornet though  ;D

digitaltransfer

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Right Chaps nearly there I have today received a couple fo responses one goes as followes

Hi Russell
I have been copied your enqiry We do market a product called Trichrome Smoke.This is a trivalent chrome applied ontop of bright nickel to achieve the Smoke appearance It is not as dark as black nickel but still quite an attractive finish Please let me know if you want any further info
Regards
Bill Jones

:LolLolLolLol:

I spoke to him briefly this evening and he is gonna send me some pictures so we can see the quality and colour also to discuss costs, how many people poss might want this doing numbers please and I will let you know on the costs early next week

We will get there evenutally  :daumenhoch:

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Keep up the great detective work and if the price is right . . . I'm defo up for it  :daumenhoch:

Steve

gmac

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Me too  :)

digitaltransfer

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2006, 11:47 PM »
Chaps still no reply as yet I am off for a week or two to the sunny Middle East so this will have to wait for a while a new year a new restore bike hopefully !!!

I will be in touch I do have access to emails so I will let you know should anything come through

Have a gooden speak soon   ;D

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2006, 11:53 PM »
No panic on my part and thanks for keeping us updated . . . have a good one  :daumenhoch:

Steve

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2006, 08:07 PM »
No panic on my part and thanks for keeping us updated . . . have a good one  :daumenhoch:

Steve

Any updates Russ ?

digitaltransfer

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2007, 08:32 PM »
Matt none as yet been too bust riding my bikes and trying to fit in some work I am still on the case one of my neighbours is a sprayer and is coming around this week to discuss the possibilities and solutions I have not really been in the office to email the chaps and stuff !! will let you know back in the office next week well partially in between riding and stuff !!!

KIR speak soon

Russell 

PS happy new year to all  :LolLolLolLol:

login_user

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2007, 10:31 AM »
Hhhhmmm...in this lovely catalogue ad that was provided by Duncan...it says that the Black Chrome Pro Class was electroplated?  Here is the catalogue page and a link to, "Electroplating".

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/howworks.html

I already said this a while ago...the Pro Class was proper electroplated Black Chrome... not painted or laquered... No one believed me ;D  ::) 

I have a mag article that says they where lacquerd.Maybe the earlier ones where lacquered and the later ones Electroplated.Anyone got an original to see?
  I take it you had no Joy with the wheel refurbishers then  :(    Isn't there a guy on here that does chrome finishes?  Chrome UK or something... ?
 Maybe he does Black Chrome  ???

Jazzchimp

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Can these guys sort DB Turbos as well??

Rabdul06

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 04:00 AM »
Reviving an old thread...but...what was the outcome? Did you find someone to do smoke chrome...?

Come on guys dont leave us hanging? :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 06:38 AM »
Funny enough ,  got an email last week saying Fit have brought out a Smoke chrome frame

http://digbmx.mpora.com/news/fit-bike-co-smoke-chrome-colorway/

So Chromers can do it . and black chrome too  :smitten:

A guy on Burnerworld called FHMreader used to do a translucent black  powder coat for their Night Burner resto's and has done a number of Pro class too .

Not smoke chrome I know but it was a decent looking substitute

Spen's old rememeber , Daz  :)

But it wasn't any good to do a true replica of the Harry leary colour , because it wasn't dark enough and no tint of blue .

About 4 years ago I asked the same guy to redo my HLT colour ,,,,,he said he'd try and  do a translucent black over blue,,,,,it was an expensive mistake  :crazy2:

So I got N2cus on the job , turned out  :4_17_5:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:15 AM by Hunterdubber »

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 07:50 AM »
Wow. Old thread or what!

Mark at Impresive Finishes in Darlington did both my ProClass frames and matched the laquer to a couple of patches left on the original finish. He is a member on here as FHMreader but is hardly on so call him (lost his number so Google him - might be spelt "Imprezive")

He does all the Burner World finishes so is busy but worth waiting for. If you have a look on "me and my bikes" you can see the colour finish on my ProClass's.... Oh, i'm not on about the custom job done on my MiniGoose as Neil N2Cus did that as an experiment and couldn't get the colour right.

If you search under ProClass finish yiu should find my thread from a couple of years ago.
Still limping......

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 09:20 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I use the same powder coater as lee radman. I spoke to him about doing my turbolite, apparently he used various layers of tinted laquer. As it was the ,cost involved meant that my db wasn't worth doing , however if anyone want his details I can pass them on :daumenhoch:
He's in Northampton by the way.

Rabdul06

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 12:46 AM »
Great replies - thanks guys. Shows how much the finishing process' have come in the last 5/6 years. Does anyone know if the black chrome PCs were chromed inside the BB shell or tubes etc or how the process worked? I have a tatty PC frame that has no sign of black chrome anywhere so Im thinking it was originally chrome.

Also this PC/HLT smoked chrome thing has been banging on for years and yet has anyone thought to cal in some favours and ask BMX Products or Chip Hess? There seem to be a lot of people on all these OS forums dropping names but surely a quick question to Skip as to where he had the frames done BITD would have sorted this..!?!? Just a thought.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2012, 07:30 PM »
This is about as near as you can get for the Pro Class

http://www.merridalepolishingandplating.co.uk/nickel.htm

The HLT was a much darker finish that was applied after chroming.....I think  :-\
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

TIMMO1966

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2012, 09:13 AM »
SBD did my GT last year in powder chrome with transluscent black on top that i imported from Rosie`s in the USA.It has a brown tint (just) which is how the original was like and it is perfect.I will try and get some piccys of the finish.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  PRO CLASS - Smoke/Black Chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx